Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree program too old to transfer to new PC!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Family Tree program too old to transfer to new PC!

Postby coopernicola » Fri May 06, 2016 9:54 am

Guy wrote:
SoozOne wrote:Hi Mick
relatively few people use Macs and relatively few of those are interested in family history.
This means that there is a low return for the work entailed in coding for the system.

Incidentally that is one reason why there are few viruses attacking Macs, because even the virus writers see them as a "low value/return target"

Guy

SoozOne: I too was disappointed not to be able to transfer my data to Family Historian. Perhaps us Mac users should start a campaign to let them know we are out here...
And Guy, I guess we're lucky about the virus problem my friend recently had their documents "ransomed" by a virus!
Nicola
coopernicola

Re: Family Tree program too old to transfer to new PC!

Postby RussellR » Thu May 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi Pauline

You are not the first to suffer from this isssue - another researcher in 2010 needed to update the gedcom as it wasn't recognised by modern genealogy programs.

Have a look at http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2056084542#69030764

Good luck
RussellR

Postby rebmck2000 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:00 pm

I had a similar problem with Family Tree Maker 2010 not being compatible with Windows 10. You just need to change the settings of the program to run off a previous version of windows - one of the previous posts mentions compatibility mode.

To change compatibility settings manually for a program, right-click the program icon, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility tab. I have ticked the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and selected Windows 7. I have had no problems since.

Hope this helps
rebmck2000

Postby Diaper » Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 pm

I have accessed my GSP Family Tree on our old PC with the aim of making a Backcup as a GEDCOM so that I can export it. However I can't see how to make a Backup as a GEDCOM file although the option for exporting the GEDCOM file seems to be there. I was going to export the file once saved to a USB stick until I had purchased a new Family Tree program but the PC won't recognise the drive for the memory stick in this instance. I feel as if I'm going round in circles and should be able to work out how to do this but have admitted defeat at the moment!
Diaper

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Diaper wrote:... However I can't see how to make a Backup as a GEDCOM file although the option for exporting the GEDCOM file seems to be there. I was going to export the file once saved to a USB stick ....

Export the GEDCOM is the option you need. Back-up as a GEDCOM was just a figure of speech.

Not sure how to get around the PC not recognising the USB stick. Have you tried another USB stick, and / or another USB socket? Can you email it off that PC?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby paulberyl » Fri May 13, 2016 9:28 pm

SoozOne,

I have an Apple iMac but had a Windows partition installed so that I can run programs, such as Family Historian, that will only operate in the Windows environment. It is quite simple to move between Windows and Mac.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby Mick Loney » Fri May 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Some roundabout ways of getting the Gedcom on to your new PC.

E-mail it as an attachment
Step1 On your old PC, Export the gedcom to the desktop.
Step2 On your old PC, send an e-mail to a friend, attaching the gedcom as an attachment, and ask then to send it back. (You could send it to yourself if you have two e-mail addresses)
Step 3 Use your new PC to read the e-mail, and then save the attachment to your PC.

You could of course save it a cloud service, accessible from both PC's.

You could write it to a CD, and read the CD on your new PC. This has advantage of creating a backup at same time

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Diaper » Sat May 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. Next time old PC is up and running will try out and see what happens!
Diaper

Postby Diaper » Sun May 15, 2016 4:06 pm

If I have done the following can someone let me know if I have exported my Backup file as GEDCOM?!

I have opened GSP Family Tree on our old PC and clicked on Diaper.GFT which shows me the "scroll" with Tree of Descendants etc. If I then click on file I have the option Export as GEDCOM. If I click on this a box comes up with Save As at the top, Under File Name is listed *GED, Under Save file as type is listed GEDCOM Files(*ged), under Folders are listed c:\gsp\famtree, C:\, GSP, FAMTREE, Backup, MM. TEXTURES and under Drives are listed c, d, e, f, g, h with OK, Cancel, Help, Network as the options.

If I click OK will the DIAPER.GFT file located on the C drive under C, GSP, FAMTREE, Backup now be a GEDCOM file? If so I can hopefully attach this to an email to send to our new PC.

Sorry I don't seem to have got my head round this (if only my IT savvy son wasn't in New Zealand!) but I am very appreciative of all your help and suggestions and just want to check I have created a GEDCOM file to import to a yet to be purchased Family Tree program before our old PC goes to silicon heaven!
Diaper

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:44 pm

If you are exporting, your DIAPER.GFT file will (correctly) remain unchanged. DIAPER.GFT will NOT be a GEDCOM file. That's exactly right because you might still want to use it in your program.

What you will do if you export as GEDCOM, is to create a new file, call it DIAPER.GED, which IS a GEDCOM file and which contains a COPY of all the data from DIAPER.GFT but in GEDCOM format. This is what you need to email.

You sound like you've got to the right option because you found option Export As GEDCOM.

Use the Save As box like you're going to save a file (because that's actually what you're going to do!)

In the box, under the Folders, click on FAMTREE (that means you'll save the file into your FAMTREE folder)

Leave Save File As Type set to GEDCOM Files (*.GED)

Now you need to enter a File Name of DIAPER.GED (don't forget the full stop!)

OK, you should be able to hit Enter to set that going.

When it's done, you can close the program down and email the GEDCOM file as an attachment - if I understand your machine correctly, it'll be in C:\GSP\FAMTREE with the filename DIAPER.GED. Make sure it's the .GED file!!!

Best of luck.
Adrian
AdrianB38

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries