Moderator Control Panel ]

Michael Cleary - Are these photos of the same person?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Michael Cleary - Are these photos of the same person?

Postby lottie's mum » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:40 pm

We've always thought that this picture is of my husbands great great uncle Michael Cleary who died in the battle of the Somme aged 29. However, I have been looking through other records we have of him tonight and am not convinced it is the same person pictured in a newspaper report. I'm wondering if the soldier is too young to be Michael. Any thoughts would be appreciated. EDIT 1st May - Managed to get second photo attached now - Are these the same man?
Attachments
Michael Cleary Newspaper Report.jpg
Michael Cleary Newspaper Report.jpg (521.03 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
SCAN0031.JPG
SCAN0031.JPG (309.61 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
lottie's mum

Re: Michael Cleary - Are these photos of the same person?

Postby brunes08 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 am

The two men do not look alike as far as I can see but the newspaper copy is a bit dark to be sure. However, reading the article, I see that his brother was also killed plus yet another brother still serving. It is possible that the photo is of one of the brothers.
brunes08

Postby lottie's mum » Sun May 01, 2016 5:21 pm

[ It is possible that the photo is of one of the brothers.[/quote]

The more we look, the less convinced we are it's the same person. As you say, could be a brother - more likely to be his younger brother James (who also sadly died). Thanks for your thoughts.
lottie's mum

Postby vito74 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:01 pm

How long apart are the two pictures taken. Estimate only. Trying to see similarities.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Postby lottie's mum » Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 pm

[quote="vito74"]How long apart are the two pictures taken. Estimate only. Trying to see similarities.

The photo in the newspaper report could only have been taken between 1st September 1914 (when he enlisted) and July 3rd 1916 (when he was killed).

The main photo was in a bag of photos that my mother-in-law had. Unfortunately, we didn't look through until after she had died but for some reason we thought it was Michael Cleary (I just don't know what that reason was). The only people that we can think of that had a connection with my mother-in-law and the first world war were her father and the 3 Cleary brothers (her uncles). Her father served in India in the war and we have compared to a picture we know to be him and have discounted him, but I will attach his photo as well so he can definitely be discounted.

If the main photo is one of the Cleary brothers then it was taken during the war years, as they all died (James was the last to die in 1918). The uniform looks pretty standard to me, I can't see anything that would link him to a regiment.
Attachments
SCAN0023.JPG
SCAN0023.JPG (337.51 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
lottie's mum

Return to Photo identification