Moderator Control Panel ]

12 Garden City, Clydach, South Wales

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby plumber12 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 pm

I am having difficulty with an address on my aunts birth certificate in 1926 - 12 Garden City, Clydach, Rhyndwyclydach (Near Swansea).
and My Grandfather's address on his marriage certificate dated 8th November 1924 - 1 Bryn House, Garden City, Clydach, Rhyndwyclydach (Near Swansea).

Assistance appreciated.posting.php?mode=post&f=14#
plumber12

Re: 12 Garden City, Clydach, South Wales

Postby sdup26 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Could you be more specific? What exactly is the difficulty you have with the addresses?
sdup26

Postby beacon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Your best bet would be to contact Clydach Historical Society:
clydachhistoricalsociety.org.uk

You will find contact links on the website.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
beacon

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 am

The location of Rhyndwyclydach as well as a description, can be seen on the attached link, but with the map extract shown being so small, you may not find it on a map yourself.

To help you locate the area, get a map showing Swansea Valley, follow the A465 North East from Swansea towards Tonna, and at Neath Abbey, turn left onto the A474 towards Pontardawe. After 2-3 miles, the Rhyndwyclydach area will be on your left.

Sadly, despite my best efforts with an Ordinance Survey map, I cannot identify Garden City itself.

http://www.a-glamorgan-family.com/Rhyndwyclydach.html

Mick Loney

Postby plumber12 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:34 am

Beacon: I have been in contact with Clydach Historical Society. But after their assistance they had a general area.

I have searched the Welsh newspapers and found references to garden city and some streets. Pearl Street (late Coed Gwilym road) and Silver Street (late Capel Avenue) in June 1919. But no mention of Bryn House.

Next step I believe is to locate some old street maps from 1912 onwards. Also electoral rolls.
plumber12

Postby beacon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:34 am

I notice that Clydach Historical Society have included a request for information about the location of Bryn House in their Spring newsletter so maybe something will come to light from this.

The location of Garden City is indicated on the Ordnance Survey map accompanying the 1939 Register.

beacon

Postby beacon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am

Plumber12 - I have been notified that you have sent me a message but despite my best efforts I am unable to access it.

beacon

Postby plumber12 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:58 am

Beacon,
Do you get the Clydach Historical Society newsletter sent to you?

Ref: The location of Garden City is indicated on the Ordnance Survey map accompanying the 1939 Register.

It may sound silly but how do I get to see this map?
plumber12

Postby JaneyH » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:14 am

I can't help with your enquiry directly, but a few thoughts. I've looked at the 6" maps for Clydach on the National Library for Scotland website, sheet Glamorgan NW XV. The sheet revised 1913 published 1921 includes "Bryn Road", although it doesn't go into the detail of Bryn House. This road has not been developed on older maps - there is just a quarry and a forge. Could this area have been referred to as 'Garden City' because it was a newer part of town? Or perhaps I'm just clutching at straws ...

JaneyH

Postby beacon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:11 am

I used the advanced search for the 1939 Register on findmypast and entered Clydach for the place keyword and Garden City for the street name. A couple of families came up and I just looked at the transcription for one of these. At the bottom of each transcription page is a map showing the location of the household.

There are three maps for Garden City:

1888 -1913 6" map showing the location before houses were built. Down Farm.

1937- 61 OS map 1:25000 has a marker showing the location but no street names.

Present day map indicating the current location of Garden City as Beryl Road.

Your query caught my eye as I was brought up in a neighbouring village. I have not lived in the area for many years but am a member of the Clydach Historical Society which is why I receive their newsletters. The reference to Garden City in the current newsletter was just a one sentence request for help in finding the location.

beacon

Next

Return to General research queries