Moderator Control Panel ]

12 Garden City, Clydach, South Wales

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: 12 Garden City, Clydach, South Wales

Postby beacon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:16 am

Bryn Road in Clydach is not close enough to the area where Garden City is supposed to have been.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
beacon

Postby plumber12 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:34 am

Beacon: I am homing in on Park Road, Clydach. Will still need a lot of research.
I have found a reference to Garden City, Clydach on the welsh newspaper website.
Attachments
silver street garden city.JPG1.JPG
silver street garden city.JPG1.JPG (56.77 KiB) Viewed 976 times
plumber12

Postby SoozOne » Tue May 03, 2016 12:04 am

Don't know whether this will be of help plumber12, but I was searching for a Wembley area - Victoria Gardens - a while ago. It was clearly on my birth certificate, my parents' ID cards, on an old envelope I uncovered, and I actually had a photo of the house. I knew it was just 'down the road' from the Stadium, and 'around the corner' from my grandparents' house in Oakington Manor Drive. But Victoria Gardens had completely vanished. It wasn't on any maps I could find anywhere.
After many frustrating dead ends I came across a very helpful person in the Brent Historical Society, who happened to have an equally helpful friend in the Brent Archives. A search solved the mystery, that Victoria Gardens was a section of the Harrow Road. It was originally developed to be a garden suburb, hence the name, but sometime after WW2 was renamed, renumbered and incorporated into Harrow Road. I was sent copies of very old maps, the sales description when it was first developed, and Philip, from the Historical Society, actually went out of his way to go and take a photo of the house. Which was awesome.
It sounds as though this is probably what has happened to your missing address. At some stage it has been incorporated into another road and consequently renamed renumbered.
If your Historical Society has any contacts in the district Archives it would be worth asking someone there, or even contacting them directly. It definitely did exist so there will be records somewhere.
Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby plumber12 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks SoozOne
plumber12

Postby LornaSwanseaValley » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Electoral registers are available with the West Glamorgan Archive Service in Swansea which can be searched for free in person or you can pay for an hour search at £30 and they can look at the houses listed on there for you or could match the names of the parents to ones on a register. The earlier electoral registers didn't have women on so it is worth chatting to an Archivist about this before paying them. You can ring them on 01792 636589.

There is a house called "Bryn Mair" which is number 50 Heol Eithrim in Clydach, Heol Eithrim connects to the bottom of Bryn Road. I am not sure what date this house was build though so it may not be the correct one.

Were there any other children born to the couple and if so have you purchased their birth certificates in order to check if (like Bryn Mair house) it has a door number as well as a house name?

Hope you find this useful
LornaSwanseaValley

Previous

Return to General research queries