Moderator Control Panel ]

Regiment

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Regiment

Postby kirstylhall » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:43 am

I have the WW1 Pension Records for Thomas Fredrick Wilson Truscott and his service number 095523 but I can't read which regiment he was with. Can anyone help?
kirstylhall

Regiment

Postby coopernicola » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:12 pm

I found a record for SFW Truscott, 095523, on Ancestry, I guess this is your man. On the final page it appears to read "Remount Squadron, Romsey "
coopernicola

Re: Regiment

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:49 pm

There is a set of records for "Thomas Frederick Wilson Truscott" in Ancestry's "British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920". On the front sheet of his Attestation Form it reads "Corps: ASC Remounts" - that's image 3807. This is a part of the Army Service Corps. The ASC is the equivalent of a regiment, which tends to be a cavalry or infantry term.

Suggest you have a look at the ASC page on the Long, Long Trail web-site http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/. The ASC Remounts Service is part of the way down that page.

Strictly Thomas' service number is R/4/0.95523 - the "R" prefix (according to that page) is the usual one for the ASC's Remount Service. Looking at his statement of services, he got no further than the Depot of the Remount Service in the UK (presumably at Romsey, judging by other references), before being discharged as no longer physically fit. Well, he was 48 when he joined. Don't know if you've seen it but Q7 on the front sheet of his Attestation Form records that he was previously 12 years a drill instructor in the ASC.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat