Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree Maker Charts

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Family Tree Maker Charts

Postby lottie's mum » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi, I'm trying to create a chart on FTM 2014 but despite a lot of playing I can't seem to get the one I want. It may not be possible or I'm missing something obvious so would be grateful if anybody could help.
I want a chart that shows my husbands paternal line only, but to include all siblings of his parents, grand-parents etc. This is to send to his father's cousin so he doesn't really need (or necessarily want) to know my husband's maternal line. The extended family chart seems to be the only one that shows siblings of all generations, but unfortunately it also shows both lines.
lottie's mum

Re: Family Tree Maker Charts

Postby scottie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:53 pm

One way to do it would be to export the ancestors you want in to a new tree and then the extended family tree would incĺude all of those people.

Sent from my SM-T310 using TYA Forum mobile app
scottie

Family Tree Maker Charts

Postby JaneyH » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 am

I've done what sounds like you need in FTM 2014. It took a little while but it was the approach that gave me most flexibility.

First, I created a chart of (I think) 5 generations for the relevant section of my tree. It was far too wide - something like 10 pages across. I then simply deleted the unwanted people from the chart and reformatted it to fit on one page. You can "pick up" individuals on the chart and move them around to suit your preferred design.

By doing this I ended up with a direct line of descent going back, siblings of each direct descendant, plus spouse of direct descendant only. Just make sure you save it!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Last edited by JaneyH on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneyH

Postby lottie's mum » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:39 pm

Thank you both very much - I will have another play at the weekend.
lottie's mum

Postby lottie's mum » Sat May 07, 2016 10:01 pm

I've had chance for a play now and found that exporting was by and far the quickest way. I exported the whole branch of the family and get the chart I want very easily. This has led me to export other branches and from now on I will work with smaller trees instead of just having one each for me and my husband. Thank you both for your help
lottie's mum

Postby scottie » Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 am

Glad it worked out for you and you got the chart you were looking for. I find exporting branches is the best way especially when sharing with others who only want a portion of what I have.

Sent from my SM-T310 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
scottie

Postby Mick Loney » Mon May 09, 2016 6:55 am

Lottie's mum,
Nice though it is having separate trees, don't forget the problems of keeping the trees in sync for the common parts.
E.g. Adding a child /grandchild to your tree, means having to insert the same person to your husband's tree. The more trees you have, the more dificult this becomes.
May be better to stick with one tree, and find a better way to produce your charts

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby lottie's mum » Mon May 09, 2016 8:12 am

Yes, I had realised this last night so abandoned the separate tree route. It was really easy to export the branch and as it only copies and not transfer completely then I'm going back to the one tree route and will export the branch when I'm ready to do the chart. Thanks for your comment.
Sent from my A1-810 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
lottie's mum

Postby lottie's mum » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:51 pm

[quote="scottie"]Glad it worked out for you and you got the chart you were looking for. I find exporting branches is the best way especially when sharing with others who only want a portion of what I have.

Help - I've just gone to export a branch like I did before and can't remember how I did it. There doesn't seem to still be the option to export a branch, just to filter individuals or alternatively I'm just losing it! Pauline
lottie's mum

Postby Fbirder » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:10 am

If you don't mind spending some money Charting Companion can do just what you want. It can import family trees from FTM and allows you to select the root person and the number of generations required for your chart.

One chart type is 'Ancestor with siblings' which sounds to be just what you want - http://progenygenealogy.com/products/fa ... lings.aspx
Fbirder

Next

Return to General research queries