Moderator Control Panel ]

Archibald Murchie

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Archibald Murchie

Postby seasalora » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:57 pm

I am hopeful of finding ancestors and descendants of Archibald Murchie, who married Susan Fisher, daughter of Master Mariner Walter Fisher, at Patrington, Yorkshire, June qtr, 1889. I am presently writing a history of the Fisher family whose origins are Youghal, Co Cork Ireland and I am trying to anchor this family within the Fisher story. There were four children of this marriage, Archibald, John Liguria, Susie and Mary and the family eventually resided in Ardrossan, Ayrshire, (5 Seton St), and from 1911 Scottish Census, Bellevue St. I believe they all survived WW1. John Liguria and Susie - I have located marriage details for both and also a daughter for John Liguria. Todate I have been unable to find the death of Archibald (senior), and according to details from the marriage of his daughter Susie in 1920, he was deceased. I would dearly like to find information on any descendants of the children of Archibald and Susan.
Kind regards
Seasalora
seasalora

Re: Archibald Murchie

Postby ColinB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:27 pm

You haven't given the birth year or place for Archibald Murchie senior but I think I can see from the 1901 census that he was a Ship's Master and away at sea. There is this death in the Deaths at Sea Register :

Murchie , Archibald 68 , rating : master, born Isle of Arran
last address : 27 Craigmillar Road , Langside, Glasgow
ship: Kingrosshire out of Glasgow
died 1 Jun 1919 at Presidency General Hospital, Calcutta, of heat apoplexy

His burial can be found in the British India Office returns. He was buried in Calcutta.
ColinB

Postby seasalora » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:32 pm

I realise that important dates were missing from my query, however, at this time it is not known where Archibald was born, but "family comment" has stated c1862, Arran. However to this time have not been able to give this any credence. What I have done, is, to send for his marriage certificate hoping that this document will give me some of the missing details. To my knowledge, the family was never resident in Glasgow, but I am aware that the distance between Ardrossan and Glasgow is not of too great a consequence. Master/Mates certificates have been sighted but there is no guarantee that this is the Archibald I am looking for, but this man did give a residential address in Glasgow on his application 1887. Unfortunately, there are one or two Archibald Murchie around this time, (and from Bute) so I am just going to have to pursue this further. However, I am very grateful for your response and hopefully the marriage certificate will give me just enough information to proceed further.
My regards
seasalora
seasalora

Postby coopernicola » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Have you already sent for the marriage certificate? I'm sure the records for Patrington are at my local archive. I could have a look tomorrow if you would like.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby seasalora » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Nicola,
I would be delighted if you can do this.
Details - Archibald Murchie to Susan Fisher, Jun qtr, 1889 9d 453 -
my kind regards
seasalora
Qld, Australia
seasalora

Postby ianbee » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Patrington is the registration district. The marriage may not even be in a church.
ianbee

Postby coopernicola » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:43 am

Sorry to say I've not been able to locate a church marriage for Archibald & Susan. I have checked the following: St Patrick, Patrington; St German's, Winstead; St Mary's, Welwick; St Nicholas, Hollym cum Withernsea; St Matthew, Owthorpe; St Nicholas, Holmpton and Holy Trinity & St Wilfred, Sunk Island.
They are all small churches within 5 miles of Patrington. There are a number of Methodist churches in the area also, perhaps they married at one of these. These records are not available locally I'm afraid.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby seasalora » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:06 am

Nicola,
I am very grateful for the time you have put into this search for me, they may have married in a Methodist, that being Archibald's faith. However, I will see what the Marriage certificate shows. Many thanks indeed.
seasalora

Postby coopernicola » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:14 am

No problem, none of them were really large churches so I didn't need to search through more than 30 microfiche. Going to the archive gives me chance to go for a bicycle ride! I hoped it would save you the cost of sending for the certificate.
coopernicola

Postby iona » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:48 pm

I am a descendant of Captain Archibald Murchie. My grandfather was his son. There were 4 children, the youngest was a girl, who went to sea with her parents!
iona

Next

Return to General research queries