Moderator Control Panel ]

Soldier's wedding photo - but when?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Soldier's wedding photo - but when?

Postby JaneyH » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:50 pm

My Mum has recently unearthed a 'new' box of family photos. Sadly none of them have any names or dates written on them, so we're completely in the dark as to who the subjects are. With this particular photo I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help narrow things down a little, which may, in turn, help me to match it to the correct ancestor.

This looks to be a wedding photo ... my guess is WW1 but I may be completely mistaken. Any help with the soldier's uniform would be most appreciated. I've asked my Dad if he could re-scan the photo to focus more on the soldier's cap in a bid to look at the regimental badge in more detail, so I may be able to update you in a few days time. In the meantime all comments most welcome!
Attachments
Capture_unknown.JPG
Capture_unknown.JPG (38.01 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
JaneyH

Re: Soldier's wedding photo - but when?

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi JaneyH.
I'm pretty certain this chap is ww1 era Royal Artillery. The cap badge is similar but I cannot be certain from looking at the pic on my phone. This though combined with the lanyard, leather ammunition belt and footwear make me think he is.
Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby JaneyH » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:50 am

Many thanks for that, Jethro.

It looks like I've got a lot more work to do as this doesn't immediately tie up with any known military service of any of my ancestors.

I have one person who served in the Royal Horse Artillery in the Boer War but he married in 1902 and was doing something different by the 1911 Census. My great-grandfather married in 1914 then served (briefly) in the Royal Marine Engineers. However the uniform is wrong and the bride is definitely not my great-grandmother.

As the photo was with other unattributed pictures it's possible it could be my Granddad's side of the family. I think I need to pull together a list of all men of the right age and work through slowly!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:11 am

I've looked at your pic again and there may be a link to horses, the chaps shoes look like they may have spurs attached to the backs. He could be a driver I'm the artillery. I cannot from this pic make out the shoulder badge but I think there is one there. He may the RHA you refer to.

Jethro Tull

Postby meekhcs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:59 am

We had two WW1 weddings in our Family, both in 1915. The Brides and the young Ladies who attented are all wearing the same style of hat as your Bride.

Sally

edited for spelling error!
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Sally - many thanks for your comments about the bride's style of dress and her hat.

Jethro - while I can't re-scan the photo (because it's at my parents' house) I've gone back to the high-res version, zoomed in on the cap and the boots and have cropped them. I can definitely see straps underneath the boot and behind the heel which could be spurs. Equally, with a little more detail, the cap badge (rotated 90 degrees) looks very like ones I've just googled for the Artillery.

So ... if the uniform is Royal Horse Artillery then the ancestor I'm aware of having been in this regiment married in 1902, presumably shortly after his return from the Boer War. By the 1911 Census he was a civilian, living in London. I've previously posted a photo that I know to be this particular ancestor - see http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic12612.html At Jethro's suggestion I then posted it on the Victorian Wars Forum, where the consensus was that the uniform was Royal Horse Artillery. Could these two photos be the same person? There could be 25-30 years between them, and quite honestly I wouldn't have a clue.

If, on the other hand, the uniform definitely dates more from WW1 rather than the turn of the century then I don't know who it is. I'd need to go through the relevant parts of my tree, look at all marriages from around 1910-1920, then look for any military service for each of them.
Attachments
Footwear.JPG
Footwear.JPG (11.34 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
Cap badge.JPG
Cap badge.JPG (22.42 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
JaneyH

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi JaneyH,

I am no expert on uniforms but I do think this is ww1 era but I am not 100%. It could well be the same chap as the previous pic you posted.
Any chance of a close up from the high res one of his right shoulder? I can't quite see if he has or has not got something on the shoulder of his uniform.

Jethro Tull

Postby JaneyH » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Here's the detail from the right shoulder. Not sure I can see what might be badges / pips and what is actually the roses and greenery from the background. All suggestions gratefully received.
Attachments
Shoulder detail.JPG
Shoulder detail.JPG (7.38 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
JaneyH

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Sorry, there is nothing there. It is only background! My bad. Was hoping there was something more there.

Jethro Tull

Postby g w aldous » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:14 am

The uniform is not pre WW1, It is as first described a Royal Artillery Drivers Uniform, There was very little to choose between RA and RHA, Being a driver he would be in the Field Artillery rather than Garrison Artillery, His Medal card if he has one should be either RA or RFA.
g w aldous

Next

Return to Photo identification