Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA Live 2016

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

WDYTYA Live 2016

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:41 am

Any comments from attendees at the NEC this year? This was the first time I'd been to WDYTYA Live at any site and I ended up going to make use of the lecture sessions and the chance to talk to some deep-level experts. (There is a limit on the attractiveness of multiple stalls all selling the same sort of stuff).

The really unfortunate thing was that all 3 of my sessions were in SoG Theatre 3, which was just feet away from Stand 306 where they were running other talks. With not even thin walls to baffle the sound, this was seriously bad positioning. It irritated me but I managed to tune the competition out (benefits of once working in a noisy office?) Someone just a few seats away from me did, however, complain bitterly that her entire session was wasted.

Not quite sure that I got as much out of the sessions as I could have done - since the guys were giving a talk, not teaching, they went at a pace so I didn't always get chance to scribble important points down. Hard-copy handouts would have been nice (but a logistical nightmare). Electronic handouts would have been even better (but how do you protect the Intellectual Property Rights if you don't want to pass it on to the world as a freeby?)

As for experts, my thanks to those I talked too, especially the guys on FIBIS and Rebecca Probert, who answered my question, "Was Common Law marriage ever legal in England?" with a resounding and simple, "No!" (She didn't even say, "It depends"!) Apparently the articulation of the concept dates from the USA in the very early 1800s and the idea and phrase crossed the Atlantic later on.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: WDYTYA Live 2016

Postby AntonyM » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Adrian

I was there on Fri and Sat - in the "Ask the Experts" area and also with the Pharos Tutors and AGRA stands.

Having been to the show for the past few years, at Olympia and now the NEC, I would tend to agree the talks can be a problem because of the open nature of the "Theatres" which in reality are just roped off areas for the most part. Olympia was better, but not perfect either.

You also make a valid point that these are talks, not lessons or teaching, which is an important distinction not everyone (and many speakers) understand, but that is no excuse for not allowing time for attendees to take proper notes if they want to - usually a sign of a speaker trying to cram too much in and having to go too fast as a result. If you contact the speaker directly they may be willing to let you have copies of the slides, although they don't have to.

Glad to hear that Rebecca was able to help to dispel the myth about common law marriage - something I hear people mention so often and which is just plain wrong.... Rebecca is the acknowledged expert on all things legally marital ! She is a very good speaker on marriage law and bigamy - and she will be one of the speakers at the forthcoming AGRA conference in Cambridge ( https://agraconference.com/) in September, which may interest you.
AntonyM

Postby AntonyM » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:59 am

Handouts for some of this years's WDYTYA talks are now on the Society of Genealogists website

http://www.sog.org.uk/learn/who-do-you- ... -handouts/
AntonyM

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks for that - mine aren't there yet but worth a look later.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Does anyone know if the other talks will go online? I was interested in the "My Ancestors Were Hat Makers" session but didn't go to the live show in the end.
ksouthall

Return to Genealogy chat