Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Artillery? awards for Hockey matches-Horace Smith

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Artillery? awards for Hockey matches-Horace Smith

Postby smithalls » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:05 pm

I am researching my husbands grandfather, Horace Smith - as with all 'Smiths' it has been difficult to be sure we are identifying the correct one and dad new very little about him & his family, all he knew was that he had been in the army, he thought in WW2 and was posted to India.We now know he was born 13 June 1903 in Poplar and it seems likely he was in the Royal artillery and joined long before WW2, we found these little awards in the family keepsakes which look like they may both be for Hockey matches, one says Oakden Hockey cup 1927, the other Bengal Cup 1925. I have tried searching 'Bengal cup' but have not found any information.
Does anyone know more about these or have any other information that could help and add to our research?
many thanks
Teresa
Attachments
H Smith awards BACK.png
Bengal cup/Oakden cup awards back view
H Smith awards BACK.png (483.49 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
H Smith awards FRONT.png
Bengal cup/oakden cup awards front view
H Smith awards FRONT.png (560.09 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
smithalls

Re: Royal Artillery? awards for Hockey matches-Horace Smith

Postby Sylcec » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:28 am

I'm afraid that this will be a rather 'waffly' general response but hopefully will help give you some pointers.

Hockey is and has been a very popular field sport in India for a very long time with the first club being formed in Calcutta in 1885-86. Its history is described here: http://www.wbsports.in/home/hockey.

Certainly in India (don't know about elsewhere, but probably similar), the various regiments fielded sporting teams and regular competitions would be held. The results of these competitions were reported in the newspapers in early days - though don't know if they still rated a mention by the WWII period.

To enquire about the hockey link you could try joining the British Raj mailing list on Rootsweb which is covers wide ranging discussion of topics from the period: http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/IND/INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ.html (I think this will be better than the "India list" which focuses solely on genealogical questions.

The other thing, and maybe the first, is to apply for a copy of your husband's grandfather's service record from the Ministry of Defence. See: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview
Hope this helps. Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:22 am

You may realise already - or you may disagree - but aren't these meant to be hung from pocket watch chains?

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 am

If you look on Findmypast you'll find a Horace Smith born Poplar who attested for the Royal Artillery in 1921.

Service records for this period are still with the Ministry of Defence and you should apply to them for a copy.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

The regimental archives may be able to help with sporting records but they are about to close their doors in order to move to new premises.
peter kent

Postby smithalls » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:01 pm

many thanks everyone for your replies & information, I will follow up the ideas you have given me.
I have downloaded several forms from the ministry of defence now to try to get service record, it seems like a very long winded complicated process at the moment but I am sure will be interesting & worth it hopefully.
Thank you so much again for your time, if any one has more info please let me know
Teresa
smithalls

Return to Military help