Moderator Control Panel ]

Stanley james Gosling WW1 Inniskilling dragoons

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Stanley james Gosling WW1 Inniskilling dragoons

Postby plumber12 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:06 am

I am having a problem with my grandfather Stanley James Gosling (b: 22/12/1899 to d: 1973) war record for WW1 living in Reading, Berks
On a Mond nickel works works newspaper Clydach it states that he was a SHOEING SMITH in the Innaskilling dragoons. At the start of WW1 he would have been 15 and 19 at the end.

Also it mentions later on he was a member for 5 years of the 6th Welch Regiment (territorials).

Any help appreciated.
plumber12

Re: Stanley james Gosling WW1 Inniskilling dragoons

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:21 am

I hate to sound critical but - what exactly is your problem? Is it that you can't find his records, that you can find several and don't know which he is, that you don't understand something in them, etc?

Bear in mind please that between 2/3 and 3/4 of the WW1 service records were destroyed during WW2 and the only thing that can be guaranteed (in as much as any records can be) is that if he went abroad during WW1, then he should have been issued with a campaign medal (or 2 or 3, though that sort-of depends on age) and the medal should be recorded in the Medal Index Cards - though with limited data there, you may not be able to recognise him.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby plumber12 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I did not reply to you because I did not receive any notification (silly me forgot to tick the notify me button :D ).

It looks like I am stuck. :roll:
plumber12

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:16 pm

If he was a Territorial in the Welch Regiment for 5y, there is a possibility that he served after the 1920-ish cut-off date. After that date, ordinary soldiers' papers are supposed to be still with the Ministry of Defence. You could, therefore, try to see if they have his papers - there are all sorts of restrictions and it's possibly best if you get the Next of Kin to apply. If his Territorial papers are with the MoD, then his WW1 papers may also be in the same bundle, or at least there may be a reference to previous service as .....

However, I'm just a little confused about whether the MoD has service records for Territorials who weren't mobilised during WW1 or WW2. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/volunteers-territorials/ is the TNA Guide on the topic, while another guide is http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/military/territorial-army-ancestors - make sure you read the "next" pages as well as the one off that URL.

I have a feeling that the MoD may not have Territorial Service Records if someone served only between the wars. Maybe the Welch Regiment's museum can advise what they have....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby plumber12 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Thank you very much for your assistance.
plumber12

Return to Military help