Moderator Control Panel ]

Law for dummies/beginners

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Law for dummies/beginners

Postby devonliz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:51 pm

Does anyone know of a good source of basic legal information that could help in family history research?

I am particularly interested in the rules and vocabulary of land ownership - leases, tenure, inheritance - in 18/19C Ireland.

I also have a legal document (summons) from Scotland with my ancestor as 'Defender' and I can't work out what he had done or whether he won the case!
devonliz

Re: Law for dummies/beginners

Postby runmerry » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:11 pm

You Could try ''A Dictonary & Digest of the Law of Scotland'' by William Bell available on Google Books.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=a6x ... _mylibrary

I don't know if there's an equivalent for Ireland.

Regards

Jen
runmerry

Postby Sylcec » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:27 am

You might find some useful info in the FamilySearch wiki for Ireland https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ireland_Land_and_Property
Sylcec

Postby Shirley.Crampton.25286 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:38 am

Subscribe to the newsletter The Legal Genealogist. You can google it to find the address. This is an American writer but she writes a lot about English common law so you will find answers to many of your questions. She writes something every day and her website includes earlier posts.
Shirley.Crampton.25286

Postby devonliz » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:58 am

Thank you, all, for your responses.
I love the Legal Genealogist blog! And the Scottish book is full of the most amazing vocabulary - it will keep me occupied for hours. And thanks for the reminder that FamilySearch has those Wiki pages.
Now, I just have to decipher the handwriting ...
devonliz

Return to Useful resources