Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish RC Baptisms

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Irish RC Baptisms

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:35 pm

I see that both Ancestry and FMP have launched their Irish RC Baptisms index and images today. Presumably the first tranche?

Given the "coincidence" in timing, I had a quick look for my mysterious 3G GF, Michael Purcell, and looking within 5y of 1808, both sites give 17 results - that's using name variants for both names on FMP and exact & similar surnames with exact, similar, sounds-like and initials for first names on Ancestry. Moreover, the most interesting one (County Cork) has the same decidedly odd transcript for the residence on both sites.

I suspect (on the basis of a few minutes work) that Ancestry and FMP may have done a joint piece of work on this - they did announce co-operation a year or so ago - indeed FamilySearch were also in that mix of announcements. Makes sense as suddenly coming up with huge chunks of Irish data would otherwise be pretty much infeasible.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Irish RC Baptisms

Postby JaneyH » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:47 am

I also noted the launch of new Irish data on both sites. Sadly I haven't had time to look yet, but I do have a list of different people where English Census records indicate they were born in Ireland. I'm hoping to blitz these at the weekend - especially as FMP is offering free access to the whole of its Irish collection until Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to Genealogy chat