Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Police in WW1

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military Police in WW1

Postby HilarySteve59 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:31 pm

I am researching an ancestor who in 1917 was in the Military Police attached to the South Notts Hussars but cannot trace a service record or medal card on Ancestry, Findmypast or Forces War records. Is it that the records will be part of the ones destroyed and he didn't have a medal card or did different records apply given he was in the Military Police and so where should I look - any help very welcome.
HilarySteve59

Re: Military Police in WW1

Postby midshipman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi, I too did some research on World War 1 Military Police. Medal card had initial and surname and not the usual forename initials and surname.
Try a medal card search using initials and surname plus his army service number if you have it.
The Great War forum website is very useful.
What was his name and number?
Regards John

Sent from my D2303 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:41 pm

I've had a quick check in my books and nothing suggests that the Military Police were handled differently from the rest of the Army. And Ancestry gives some 2,500 in the "British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920" having the keyword "Police" - though some of those simply lived at "The Police Station"!

So if his papers can't be found (and I'm assuming you've checked all variants, including looking for initials not full given names) then it does sound like his papers were burnt.

Non-appearance in Ancestry's Medal Index Rolls (or Medal Rolls themselves) suggests that he didn't go abroad as if he went outside the UK (which included Ireland at the time, of course) during WW1, then he would be issued with campaign medals.

The South Notts Hussars are documented on the Long, Long Trail on http://www.1914-1918.net/snottshuss.htm so you can see where he might have been in 1917 - except there are 3 possible units within the South Notts Hussars, only one of which went outside the UK.

Do you have a service number for him? If so, http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/media/military-police-regimental-numbers.html lists when different numbers were issued giving you a rough idea when he might have joined up.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby HilarySteve59 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:02 pm

His name was William Fouracre service number 9725 born 1877 or1878.
HilarySteve59

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Hm. It does look as if his papers were destroyed in WW2. I've used Ancestry to search by name (regardless of unit) looking for William / W and Foracre/Fouracre/Fouracres and whatever else Ancestry thinks is close - but nothing looks like him.

I've also used FindMyPast to do a wild-card search for numbers like 971*, 972*, 973* with a keyword of Police. (Ancestry just doesn't seem to do wild-card searches on numbers - it lets you enter the wild-carded number but what it does with it I've no idea!) Again, nothing looks like him - but I can't get close to his number in the Police either. I've always imagined that the papers were stacked numerically within regimental number series. The fact that the Police don't have any numbers close also suggests (but does not prove) that his papers were in a stack that was burnt.

The fact that he's not in the Medal Rolls or Medal Index Cards either implies that he never left the UK - i.e. at the time you're talking about he was with either the 2/1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry or the 3/1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry. He might have moved on to other units but still within the UK.

Well, at least you know where he was in 1917 - that's more than some people do!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby HilarySteve59 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look for this ancestor, always good to have a second pair of eyes, such a shame so many records were destroyed.
HilarySteve59

Return to Military help