Moderator Control Panel ]

110th Heavy Battery RGA

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

110th Heavy Battery RGA

Postby DavidG » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Can anybody tell me where the 110th HB RGA were on or around 17th Feb 1917?

I'm trying to find out if there was a specific action that they might have been involved in at that time.

My G Grandfather was awarded the MM on that date according to Mr Williamson's book (Gazetted 17th April 1917) and it's one of those family things where nobody seems to know why!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
David
DavidG

Re: 110th Heavy Battery RGA

Postby coopernicola » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:35 pm

Have you checked the London Gazette for details? It usually gives a short explanation of the action involved.
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Nicola - Sadly, citations for MMs are rarely found in the Gazette - I know, I've been there....

David - I suspect you may know much more already than any reader of this forum - that's if you are Dave Greenall who asked a similar question back in 2003 in http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6211? ;) If you are, then you've already gone through all my suggestions (that I never got round to making) of trying to locate War Diaries of the battery and the higher units?

Certainly, when I tried to follow up a relative in the RGA, I got lost in the HAGs and whatever. But I'd suggest you need to double check for the Battery's War Diary in TNA's Discovery; try and find what the higher level units were; try and find any Diaries for those higher units. If necessary, go as high as the Division's Diary. If you can find it (Division and Diary). Oh. That's if it was allocated to a Division... That's what I mean about getting lost in HAGs, etc... So - in summary, find the higher level units first, then look for War Diaries of those.

I wonder if Firepower, the museum of the RA can help with either the higher level units or the diaries? Good luck....
Adrian
AdrianB38

110th Heavy Battery RGA

Postby brunes08 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 pm

There is a site that might provide a little help. The wartimememoriesproject.com has a section on the 110th Heavy Battery, RGA.
brunes08

110th Heavy Battery RGA

Postby brunes08 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:52 pm

I've been rummaging about in my books on the 1WW and on the internet. The only thing of possible help to narrow things down is on the http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk site. In the listings of the Heavy Batteries, RGA, the 110th were in France from 20th September, 1914. There is no indication in the list that the 110th was sent to any of the other theatres of war. (The list shows that other Batteries were sent to eg Gallipoli, Mesopotamia, Italy etc.) I cannot find a particular battle or notable event that occurred in France in Feb 1917 that might fit what you know.
I presume, from the above posts, that you have the service record of your gt grandfather. Is there anything on the record that could give a clue, even a tiny one?
brunes08

110th Heavy Battery RGA

Postby coopernicola » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for letting me know Adrain38. I've only checked family DCM's. How odd MM's were not included.
DavidG: Perhaps local newspapers may be useful? I've found a few local DSC's there.
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:17 pm

Nicola - I've always assumed that it was simply a volume question. But I emphasise "assume.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:20 pm

The answer should be in the War Diaries which are available on The National Archives website for a fee at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... c6721e6ee2.
junkers

Postby brunes08 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:43 am

I'm not sure how much detail of awards will be found in the War Diaries. I have made notes from the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry diary. At one point it mentions a visit by General Sir Hubert Gough who presented 4 M Medals to 4 sergeants ( quote: out of 12 to whom that honour was presented) but no names are mentioned. Of course, other diaries may be more detailed.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:13 pm

brunes08 wrote:I'm not sure how much detail of awards will be found in the War Diaries. ...

Almost certainly very little - but I think that what the original poster wanted to know was - what happened to the battery on a particular day, that might have caused his relative to be put forward for the medal? That's much more likely to be there. It still may not mention him by name but it should be possible to understand the circumstances that might include the episode. (At least, that's my interpretation of his use of the word "awarded", given that the Gazette entry was 2m later).

To give a for-instance, we have no real certainty why my grandpa was awarded the MM (Royal Field Artillery in his case) - however, working back from the date of his Gazette by the average time to follow the process through for the Western Front (up to three months, I believe) and looking in the War Diary, the researcher's only really obvious event was an episode when Grandpa's battery came under heavy shellfire and several guns were damaged. Given that Grandpa's role included repairs, it's a good bet that that was the episode.

I'm hoping for the OP's sake that the Diary that Junker's found covers the date in February that he needs, as I believe that the later diary may have been lost.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Military help