Moderator Control Panel ]

Deciphering 1939 occupation

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Postby SoozOne » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:11 am

I managed to score a free look at FMP's 1939 Register on their freebie day yesterday. I checked my mum and her bro who were house sharing back then, primarily to try to discover what my Uncle's occupation was. I remember a number conversations between my parents when growing up as to exactly what he did in the war that was covered by the Official Secrets Act. Uncle Charlie was based in London and working for 'a ministry'. Apparently worked 'odd hours', and always seemed extremely well informed not only as to what was going on, but also able to access supplies which were in extremely short supply to the general public. He was a lot wealthier than in pre-war days, and drove a treasured rather high viz Singer sports car, similar to those favoured by RAF pilots.
I thought that his 1939 occupation might give some clue ... but ... the transcript only gave ?? as his occupation. Looking at the original has me still unenlightened. It looks like "Immigration officer & .... here is a word which looks like it could be Entomogol which may possibly be the ennumerator getting confused on the spelling of entomologist. It seems a rather bizarre combination.
Here is photo. The entry in question is the one between At School and Hairdresser in the bottom group beside the 30 May

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Attachments
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1455671436.638378.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1455671436.638378.jpg (118.24 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Last edited by SoozOne on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoozOne

Re: Deciphering 1939 occupation

Postby Sylcec » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:58 am

The image you have uploaded is too small for me to enlarge it without losing clarity, so unable to help. (No guarantee I could help even if it was larger of course! :) )
Sylcec

Postby SoozOne » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Sorry, had a spot of bother uploading. Here is a larger version

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1455710413.167289.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1455710413.167289.jpg (106.46 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

SoozOne

Re: Deciphering 1939 occupation

Postby SoozOne » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 am

Oh. Fumigation. So it is. Many thanks jaykayare.
That makes far more sense now, I would think a Fumigation / Entomologist would be in demand during the war would be called in to many places and likely see many things that would come under the Official Secrets Act.
That would explain too how my Uncle Charlie was able to help out rationing with luxury items now and again. Post war he lived in Liverpool, and I was under the impression he did something in the importing line. Which also fits.
He was a great Uncle, very infectious laugh. Every year drove his soft top Singer Sports down from Liverpool to Cornwall for a fortnight with my grandparents. I have many fond memories of the four of us and his little Battersea dog, Chuffy, he rescued during the war and who lived with my grandparents, crammed into his tiny car for outings. As well he unfailingly turned up with a huge jar full of the old greeny many cornered threepenny pieces he'd saved for me, at least till his last visit with his new wife ...!
Sadly Uncle Charlie died suddenly when I was 12. Chuffy, got very depressed around the time he died, refused to eat and died herself very soon after. I've never thought that was a co-incidence as she absolutely adored him, and would frequently get herself lost in neighbouring towns searching for him after his holidays. She would escape from the garden, go down to the corner and hop onto buses with passengers - grandad would get a phone call and, grumbling, have to hop on a bus too to fetch her home again.

SoozOne

Return to Photo identification