Moderator Control Panel ]

How to obtain a birth certificate from Russia

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

How to obtain a birth certificate from Russia

Postby theresa puckett » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi,

I am currently researching my husband's family tree. His grandfather was born in St. Petersburg, Russia in 1899. Is it possible at all to get his birth certificate and how do I do this?

Many thanks
Theresa
theresa puckett

Re: How to obtain a birth certificate from Russia

Postby LeavesFHR » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:28 am

Hi Theresa

It appears that Russian civil registration did not start until about 1919, but not fully until 1926. More details can be found on the Familysearch wiki site and the Worldvitalrecords website under place.

(I was unable to add the URLs to this reply)

Church records were required from 1826, so you will need to know which church the family attended.

Good Luck

Anne
LeavesFHR

Postby sdup26 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:11 pm

As Anne suggests, www.familysearch.org.uk is worth trying, as there are quite a lot of pre-1900 BMD's for Russia on the site.
sdup26

Postby junkers » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:46 pm

It does depend on whether his parents were British, if so the Overseas Records of the General Register Office (Findmypast) and the Foreign Office and General Register Office records at The National Archives (TNA), Kew, may have his birth. If he was Russian and then became British then his British Nationality records (Home Office records) at TNA might contain a copy.
junkers

Postby FRH » Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 am

HI Therese

St Petersburg archive does have the metrical books (and they are online) but they are not indexed. You need to know the name of the church to limit the search.
FRH

Return to General research queries