Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Uniform Identification

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military Uniform Identification

Postby dpatey » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Attached is a photo of my great-grandfather Robert George Taylor, born 1890 in Higham Kent. After copious amounts of searching I am unable to find any war records. I believe the photo was taken around the first part of 1915 due to the ages of his children, Lily Rose born 1910 and Daisy May born 1913. All I can add is that Robert was living in Belvedere in Kent between 1911 (from Census) until his death in 1936 which leads me to his service maybe being based at Woolwich Arsenal?. Any help you can provide on the uniform would be greatly appreciated.

Fingers crossed for a positive result

Darren
Attachments
Robert Taylor.jpg
Robert Taylor.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
dpatey

Re: Military Uniform Identification

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Is there any chance that you can scan the photo in at a higher resolution - just from his waist upwards would suffice? In most cases, the only point of identification for a uniform is the cap badge and this one, regrettably, could be one of a number of round badges. Real cap badge Jedi-Masters might be able to identify it, but not me!

I can concur with the dating - the jacket is a war-time "economy" version. The pockets are flat (no vertical pleats in them), which probably also means there is no reinforcing on the shoulders (to take the recoil of a rifle). Economy jackets were made about late-1914 to 1915. I believe the belt is 1914 leather pattern.

He has a single stripe on his upper arm - which makes him a lance-corporal (or an equivalent rank, different corps could use slightly different names for the same rank).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi Darren

I am no expert at all but my first thought was that the cap badge could be The Royal Marines. This is based on what appears to be a globe in the centre and the overall shape and also the location of where your chap was from. This is only a first impression though and, as Adrian mentions, it is not overly clear from this pic. There are quite a few that are very similar in general appearance including several of the territorial regiments. If you could get a higher res pic it would be great to see.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby dpatey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Thank you Adrian & Dan for your assistance, it has been really useful. I have attached another photo which I hope you help identify the regiment but appreciate it still my not be totally clear.
Attachments
RG Taylor (2).jpg
RG Taylor (2).jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
dpatey

Postby Jethro Tull » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:12 pm

Darren,
Seeing this image I am leaning more towards your chap possibly serving with The Hampshire Regiment. This is not 100% by any stretch but it does appear to have the shape and detail of their badge now I can see it slightly clearer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby DavidG » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:10 pm

There's a Corporal Robert G Taylor of the Hampshire Regiment Number 281010 and a Private Robert George Taylor Number 11385 listed on the Medal Record Cards.
DavidG

Return to Military help