Moderator Control Panel ]

bridget Mary Sheehan - Hit a brickwall with birth

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

bridget Mary Sheehan - Hit a brickwall with birth

Postby McGreig1408 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:12 am

My Grandmother was born in 1938 and adopted in 1942, her birth mother was Bridget Mary Sheehan. We have the address where she was living as a housekeeper and companion just before and after my grandmother's birth. We know she came from southern Ireland and had a sister called Eileen.

I was hoping that the 1939 register would end my troubles, if I could access her record I would know her date of birth which would narrow down the many in the Ireland registers. Unfortunately her record is closed, I cannot prove her death as I don't know her married name to locate a death certificate, there are a few possibilities but I have no way of verifying which is the right one.

I feel like Henry with his broken bucket, I can't access one record without information I can only get from that record.

Does anyone have any other ideas of how I can break down this brick wall? My Grandmother would love to be able to find out more and as her health deteriorates I worry I won't find anything in time to share with her.
McGreig1408

Re: bridget Mary Sheehan - Hit a brickwall with birth

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello
This is a really difficult one .You may never get the answers you seek but have you tried looking at things from a different angle?
You know the address Bridget was at in 1942 and I'm assuming she was still single then.So are there any marriages in the local area for a Bridget Mary Sheehan that may be her?
There are only 7 for 1942-1962 in England and Wales so try following up any that look likely.
Can you find a matching death for the bride? Latter death indexes give a date of birth.
So you could then take the death certificate to FMP and have the record opened,even if they didn't you'd have eliminated one possible date of birth.
How about Electoral registers? Are there any Bridget Mary Sheehan's in the local area after 1942,when does she disappear? This could pin point a date for her marriage.
Fingers crossed you will get somewhere.
Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby sdup26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Bridget’s daughter was born 1938 but not adopted until 1942, so I checked deaths, just in case the adoption was because Bridget died after giving birth to her daughter. I also checked the 1939 Register, as even if someone’s details are closed so can't be accessed, their names should appear in a search. This came up, copied as written:
a) Mary (Bridget) Bowden (Sheehan), St Marylebone, London.
If this means she was maiden name Sheehan, married to a Bowden, I can’t find a marriage up to and including 1939.

A tree on ancestry (apologies if it’s yours) suggests Bridget was born in Newcastle, Limerick, but I can’t find a birth, bearing in mind Irish records are a bit thin on the ground. As Bridget was born about 1917, she wouldn’t be on the 1911 census for Newcastle, Limerick, and you don’t say when her sister Eileen was born, but I tried for her anyway. It seems there was only one Eileen Sheehan in Limerick in 1911.

Mungret St, Limerick No 6 Urban, Limerick.
John Smythe 69, head of house, clothes dealer, wife Elizabeth 68, Thomas Sheehan son-in-law 45, Mary Sheehan daughter 45, then Thomas and Mary’s children: Christy 17, John 15, Eileen 12, Thomas 8, Mary 7, Margaret 5. All RC. All literate.

I realise this census could be a complete red herring, but it was worth a look in case the names mean anything to your grandmother.
sdup26

Postby McGreig1408 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Thank you

We don't know her age or where in Ireland she was from which doesn't help narrow it down. She must have been at least 21 in 1937 to appear on the electoral roll.

She a first appears on the electoral roll in 1937 at the address in Camberwell where my Grandmother's birth certificate records her as living, she is also on the 1938 and 1939 electoral rolls for the same address.

The entire address is missing from the 1939 register, I have contacted them and was told it is because all household members are closed, I thought it should still appear as a closed address on the search but was told not. Although searching for my close family members who lived in the house i live in now says no results for my address or their names so think it's a little hit and miss with their transcriptions.

She used to visit my Grandmother, who was being taken care of by a private fosterer. When the council found out about the arrangement the children in the house had to find other places, my grandmother then went to the original foster mother's. Bridget still visited until one day she came to say she was getting married. She never visited after this, afraid Bridget would come back for my Grandmother she was officially adopted, there were attempts made by the court to contact Bridget for her approval but she couldn't be traced at her previous address so the adoption was approved in her absence.

I can't find any marriages around the Camberwell area for 1940s for Bridget. There are a few in other parts of London.
McGreig1408

Postby maxine tallon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 pm

for what it's worth I too have issues with FMP 1939 register, it seems there are a lot of mistakes and sometimes most of a street is not indexed even though the people living there are not covered by the 100 year rule. I have complained to them and they say they are looking into the matter!!! they do admit there are errors, so keep on complaining to them maybe they will come up with something positive. I sent them a complete list of missing households from one street try doing the same. They tell me they are checking the information I gave them.
don't hold your breath though I'm not holding mine!

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:45 pm

there is a marriage for a Mary B Sheehan and Denis Fogarty ref: 1942 Q4 Kensington 1A 354
If you haven't already discounted it this may be worth a look. Kensington is 6 miles from Camberwell on the opposite side of the Thames.
meekhcs

Postby sdup26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Unfortunately for searching purposes, there are also two Bridget Sheehan marriages in Hammersmith, (6 miles from Camberwell) to Patrick McCarthy SQ1941 and Frank W Streat J1941, and a Bridget M Sheehan marriage to John C McManus in Hackney, but that's later, in 1946.
sdup26

Postby McGreig1408 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:26 pm

I ruled out the Streat marriage as the Bridget in that marriage was living in Hammersmith at the time of the 1939 census. I've ordered a copy of the McCarthy marriage from Hammersmith, but not sure if there will be any way of knowing if it is the right one.

I have looked for a death of Bridget McCarthy or Patrick McCarthy but can't find anything.
McGreig1408

Postby sdup26 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:08 pm

The marriage certificate you've ordered will give the age and occupation of the Bridget named, and if these personal details don't fit with yours, you've eliminated a possibility. If they do fit, hopefully, her father's name and occupation will also be given, and it could all help with further searches, such as in Irish records. Unfortunately, certificates are very often a gamble, and an expensive one at that!
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:07 pm

The 1939 Register index has -
Bridget McCarthy (Shee?)
born 2 March 1912, and living in Acton, at "The Lodge" in The Avenue (and pretty close to Hammersmith)
Transcribed occupation - Domestic Servant

The address I can see a Bridget Sheehan on the electoral rolls, 1937-9, Camberwell, is 56 Beckwith Road, Dulwich. And I don't think number 56 is listed in the 1939 address search on findmypast.
The couple at that address in the electorals, Serge + Jessie Sarah Krish (or Krisch, married Marylebone 1914), should be on the register - and they had been at number 56 since the early thirties. They were still listed living there after the war, with other family members.
But on the 1939 they are to be found in Banstead! Serge + Sarah Jessie Crish/Krish, with the Posnansky's, and there are four people redacted on that record.
So you cannot really be sure whether someone was recorded on 29 September 1939 at the place you would have expected them to be.

If you purchased a record for a neighbouring address in Beckwith Road in 1939, you would get the whole page including number 56 - I guess you would be able to work out how many people - if any - were living at 56, and are redacted? And you would then not have to pay for that page again? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You could wait, see if Bridget is going to appear there or not. If she was (at least) 21 in 1937, and if(!) she was still in Beckwith Road in Sep 1939, and redacted, then presumably she was born in 1916? In which case her record should be opened in the next twelve months.
Ian
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries