Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform identification needed.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Uniform identification needed.

Postby karooch » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:02 am

James Boles in British Army.jpg
James Boles in British Army.jpg (137.69 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

Attached is a photo of my Grandfather, Jim Boles. We know that he served in the British Army between 1918-1923 and was posted to India. But unfortunately I have no other information about his British military career. In 1923 he left the British Army and joined the Irish Free State Army after Ireland won its independence (I have his Irish military record). I assume that the British regiment that he joined would have been one that he could have joined from his home in TIpperary. Can anyone identify the uniform in the photo as that might give me some pointers on where I should look for more information about him?

Fingers crossed

Karen
karooch

Re: Uniform identification needed.

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:42 am

If those dates are accurate then according to the normal rules of the game, his personnel records will still be held by the UK's Ministry of Defence. Look at our National Archives Research Guide on British Army soldiers after 1913 and you should eventually find the contact address.

I think he is wearing jodhpurs In the photo, suggesting a role riding horses - NOT necessarily cavalry.

If he joined in 1918 but before the end of conscription (no idea when that was) he would have been sent to any regiment where he was needed.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby karooch » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for your speedy response Adrian. I have checked in the National Archives for his British Military record but couldn't find anything. I believe many service records from that period were destroyed during WW2.
Cheers

Karen
karooch

Postby AntonyM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am

As Adrian explained - If he was still serving in the British Army in the 1920s then his papers would not be at the National Archives - they will still be held by the Ministry of Defence.

Copies are available through this address:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-fo ... -personnel
AntonyM

Return to Military help