Moderator Control Panel ]

WWII Evacuation and 1939 Register

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Having gained access to the 1939 Register for my paternal grandparents, I had the bonus of finding all my grandmother's sisters living on the same street on the one page (worth the FMP credits!). However my father & his eldest sister are missing. They should be redacted, as they were 5 & 3 at the time, however there are no redacted people in any of the three family households.
I know they were both evacuated but, as Hull was not badly bombed until 1940, is it likely they had gone within the first 3 weeks of the evacuation programme?
coopernicola

Re: WWII Evacuation and 1939 Register

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm

The evacuation programme started on the 1st (Friday - bear in mind war was declared on the immediately following Sunday). Within the first 3 days some 1.5 million people - mostly children I guess - had been moved.

No use waiting until the first raids - which many thought would be within hours anyway.

I just checked those dates and numbers but it is, of course, possible that I misremembered between checking and writing. I guess you'd need to check local papers to understand the exact situation in your area but evacuations were carried out at least as far west as Bristol.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks Adrian, I'll check out our local newspaper. It seems likely they could have been evacuated quickly due to them living very near the dockyard.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:24 pm

A friend recently lent me a copy of an instruction leaflet, provided just before the outbreak of war, entitled "War Emergency -Information and Instructions". Overall, the plan was to evacuate 'school children, younger children accompanied by their mothers or other responsible persons, expectant mothers, and adult blind persons'. These would be from (I'll abbreviate some):

As you will see, Hull was included in the initial plan.
Administrative County of London, some East and north London Boroughs.
Medway towns
Portsmouth, Southampton, Gosport,
Birmingham and Smethwick
Liverpool, Birkenhead, Mersey area
Manchester, Salford,
Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford and Hull
Newcastle and Gateshead
Edinburgh, Rosyth, Glasgow, Clydebank and Dundee.

At this stage, Bristol is not included. However, the information goes on to state that in the above places only certain areas will be evacuated. Plus a few other places may require evacuations and those affected would be notified.
The leaflet then gives information about how to prepare the children for evacuation.

Hope that is a little bit helpful.
brunes08

Postby coopernicola » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 am

Thank you for this, it does seem likely they had already been evacuated.
My father & aunt both have very good memories of their time as evacuees (his good, hers bad). However neither of them can remember when they went, and why they were placed in completely different areas. Their mother, who would have been pregnant at the time of the 1939 census, and was at home, did go later to be with my aunt taking my youngest aunt (the new born baby).
coopernicola

Return to Genealogy chat