Moderator Control Panel ]

Tree Problem on ancestry

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Tree Problem on ancestry

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:17 pm

An issue has arisen on my tree on Ancestry and I do not kow how to correct it. Any advice would be very welcome, in words of one syllable please!!

I have raised this problem with Ancestry but in case I do not receive a reply I thought I would try here.

Thomas Parmiter 1784-1846 married twice. Firstly to Sarah Gillingham, and when she passed away he married Mary Ayres. He had children by both his wives.

On my Ancestry Tree the correct children are listed to the correct Mothers. HOWEVER in the case of Mary Ayres children the tree appears to have split. Her first two children Maria Shepherd and Joseph Andrew appear as full siblings,and her 3rd and fourth children Stanislaus George and Philip Neri appear as full siblings BUT the two sets of children appear as half siblings to each other, together with the children of Thomas and his first wife Sarah.

I AM POSITIVE that this has happened in the switch between the old and new site. This is our direct Family line, and I have carried out extensive research on it. I would have noticed if the problem existed before. This is not just a case of one of the units appearing separately on the tree and my being able to delete it and re enter it properly. Both units are linked to lots of other records.

Is there anyone else who has come across this on the new site and is there an easy fix? I am scared to fiddle in case I cause even more problems. I have tried merging, but the system won't let me.

HELP!!

Sally
meekhcs

Tree Problem on ancestry

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Have you tried going into the 'Tools' (top of person screen RHS - dropdown menu)? *Edit: it's the 'Edit' dropdown menu*
From there you can edit Relationships.
I was altering the children of a similar family this weekend and found you could delete one 'mother' then add another 'mother' from people in your tree from the same screen.
I did need to do each child separately but now they are all listed with the correct mother.
Good luck, Nicola
coopernicola

Re: Tree Problem on ancestry

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Thank you I have tried that but it doesn't work. Unfortunately the button I need is to alter brother and sister relationships and it doesn't exist.

The problem is that all 4 children are listed with the correct Mother and Father. So, if I pull up Mary Ayres all 4 children are listed with her as the Mother, and similarly if I pull up the Father Thomas Parmiter all 4 children are listed correctly. It was only by accident that I went into the youngest son Philip Neri's as I have been unable to pinpoint his death that I discovered the problem. When I had finished working with him I clicked on siblings and discovered that Stanislaus was the only sibling listed and that his other siblings Maria and Joseph were listed as half siblings,and vice versa.

This is a real oddity and I just hope Ancestry can sort it out. I am also worried as to what other problems may be lurking!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:56 pm

I altered mine by going into each child from their Profile screen. I didn't really make that clear. You can them alter their parent/parents and their relationship to other children is amended automatically.
coopernicola

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Or you could call Ancestry they were really helpful when I had a weird issue last year. The lady talked me through how to correct the problem there and then!
coopernicola

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Nicola - again thank you

I have spoken with Ancestry. Unfortunately the person didn't seem very sure of himself, went away to confer, and then suggested I detach and re attach the children to Thomas and Mary, in the hope that the problem would sort itself. He suggested that I had too much content on the Family profiles. NOT very reassuring!

Unless anyone can suggest anything else then I think I will have to try this, dowloading a ged com first.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:49 pm

IT WORKED!!

Something else I discovered when I "edited" was that Thomas was listed as the "mother" and Mary as the "father" on two of the children, presumably this was the reason for the split - who knows??

BUT Everything looked normal on the profiles.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Marvellous, sometimes a second look works wonders!
coopernicola

Return to Technical help