Moderator Control Panel ]

Is this William Thomas Poulton (1875-1941) of Morecambe?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Is this William Thomas Poulton (1875-1941) of Morecambe?

Postby stevejp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:56 pm

JRP plus another.jpg
JRP plus another.jpg (118.67 KiB) Viewed 3908 times

I'm hoping someone can identify the tall man wearing the light grey suit.

I think it could be William Thomas Poulton (or Powlton) born 1875 at Barrow-in-Furness. He grew up with his aunt's family at Overton, Lancashire. In 1900, he married Jane Nelson and they settled in Morecambe where they raised a large family. I believe he died in 1941 and his wife in 1974. I'm hoping that someone has an old photograph to compare with mine, or recognises him. (The other person in the photograph is my grandfather. I think the mystery man could be his brother.)
stevejp

Re: Is this William Thomas Poulton (1875-1941) of Morecambe?

Postby JulieH1969 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:08 pm

Hello Stevie
I'm afraid I can't help you with the photo ID at all, but I am interested in any Poulton research you may have done!
I have Poulton's going down the female line of my family tree in the Nottinghamshire area.
Do you think we may have any connection at all?

Cheers
Julie
JulieH1969

Postby stevejp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Hello Julie,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been trying to identify my grandfather (the man in the bowler hat) for more than ten years. He died in 1947, before I was born. He didn't know his true date of birth and kept his early life to himself, perhaps because of an earlier failed marriage. I can track him positively from the end of 1908 but before that is very difficult.

I've looked at over forty possible John Poultons found in census records, focussing on those which have the closest match to family stories. I know he had a Lancashire accent and had connections with Bolton and (probably) Blackburn. The 1911 census says he was born in Lancaster. All the information I have relates to Lancashire. I got a little further when I discovered the alternative spelling of Powlton.

I think the two men in the photograph have similar features and could be brothers. The child whom I think is most likely to be my grandfather had a brother, William Thomas Poulton. They were separated as children when their father died in the workhouse. I wonder if the photograph was a family reunion. If anyone can identify the other man, it will help me prove or disprove my theory.

Unfortunately I don't know of any connection with Nottinghamshire at present.

Good luck with your research.

Steve
stevejp

Postby coopernicola » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Is the 1939 Register any help?
There is a William (T) Poulton b1875, in Morecambe. The household also has Jane Pulton (spelling from transcript) & 4 other open records, and 3 closed records.
coopernicola

Postby stevejp » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:40 pm

It's kind of you to look that up for me in the 1939 register. It does sound like the right William. I think he and Jane (Nelson) had a large family and I'm hoping one of their descendants is a family historian with an old photograph of William to compare with mine. It may not be William in my photograph but I'd like to know either way. It would be a major breakthrough for me if it is William.

William Thomas Poulton's father was also called William Thomas Powlton. His mother was Jane nee Caton. They had three sons: John Richard b.1872 Lancaster, William Thomas b.1875 Barrow-in-Furness, Samuel Charles b.1877 Barrow-in-Furness (who died in infancy).

The father died aged 31 in 1878 in the Lancaster Union workhouse. The family seems to have split up. William (junior) was brought up by his aunt in Overton (where he married Jane Nelson and thence to Morecambe). John Richard, who could be my grandfather, wasn't so lucky. By 1881, he seems to be on his own in the Lancaster workhouse aged '9' under the name John R Welch (his widowed mother had married George Welch and was now a char in Blackburn). He disappears after 1881 as far as I can tell. (I have an idea where he is but that's another long story.)

I need to find a way of linking young John Richard to my grandfather (or not). The photograph could provide the link because if that is William standing next to my grandfather, it will be fairly convincing evidence that I've found the right man.

Steve
stevejp

Postby JulieH1969 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:03 am

Hi Steve

I think you're right, I think they have very similar features, particularly the nose, very similar indeed. I do hope someone comes forward and can confirm it for you. I love it when you get a breakthrough after you've been trying to track something down for so long!

My Poultons are all around Nottinghamshire in the 1770's and some of them I've not tracked down the lines more recently as my own Poulton ancestor was female, an only child as her mother died in childbirth, but I guess there could be a connection.

If I track mine down into the 1800s and it's any use I'll be back in touch!

Cheers for now, and good luck

Julie
JulieH1969

Postby Northern_rose » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:06 am

Hi

I get WDTYA magazine and have joined the forum specifically to reply to your photo!

I'm descended from Jane Nelsons sibling and have done some research on the Poulton family - Janes parents both died in the Poulton household, so I went off down the branch.

I'm currently away from home so don't have access to all my records. I am sure that I have seen the photo before but can't remember where! I may even have it saved on my PC?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Northern_rose

Postby stevejp » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Hello Northern_rose,

This sounds really interesting. Thank you for making the effort to reply. I won't build my hopes just yet but I'm really looking forward to hearing more when you can access your records.

Cheers for now.

Steve
stevejp

Postby Northern_rose » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:35 pm

I'm away til the early hours of Sunday but probably won't get chance to look until Tuesday. Will get back to you as soon as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Northern_rose

Return to Photo identification