Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 register

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

1939 register

Postby maxine tallon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:47 am

I have just come across something odd on the 1939 register, the street my grandmother lived in has not been fully transcribed! lots of the house numbers are not there including my grandmother's, which is probably why I couldn't find her on the register. Has anyone else come across this? I have brought it up with FMP but no reply yet.

maxine
maxine tallon

Re: 1939 register

Postby Guy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:06 am

The most common reason for this is all the occupants of the property are thought to be still living.
The Data protection Act does not allow any details of living people to be shown in such circumstances.
That inculdes commonly known details such as names.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby maxine tallon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:41 am

thanks Guy I hadn't thought of that although how two women in one house both born around 1877 can been seen to be still alive is silly, (two families shared the house) I can understand my mother being blacked out and her younger sister her older sister was however born in 1905, I've had no trouble with other households in London and my other grandmother who was the same age was listed where she was living it seems that Farrant Street Queens Park is an exception. It would be nice if FMP had replied to my query!

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby junkers » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Of course you can check the electoral register and it will tell you who was living there or at least the adults, which makes the redaction of names as ridiculous.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Names are not the issue - it's the other data.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby janiej » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:55 am

Rant time - I have been searching for people and streets in one town since November and have come to the conclusion that the data was not transcribed. It is a small town, I lived there for 20 years and knew many of the people I am searching for. They were nearly all living in the same houses in the 1931 electoral register and also when I knew them in the 1950s. They all died way before 1993.

I searched the names using every method I could think of - such as initial letter of surname with *, street names throughout the entire country, surnames with year of birth, first names with date of birth, everyone with that surname in the county and the adjoining county - and even a blank street search on the town which showed the streets were not there. I sent all this to FMP in December and they promised to look into it but I heard nothing.

This week I resurrected the enquiry. I checked the TNA Piece numbers and Item numbers and systematically entered them one by one into the search, only to find that there was no data for one series. I got a map of the town and marked the streets that had been included and clearly the entire town centre and housing to the west of it had been left out. The data for the town is in either Urban District or Rural. I searched both, just to make sure - even though these houses were in the centre of the town and clearly Urban. I sent all this through. I'm trying to help them find the missing entries - not just complaining.

The response I got was "If you are searching for a particular street and are unable to find it you may need to be flexible in the search terms that you use. It is possible that street names may have changed, or streets have been built or even renamed after 1939. Looking at the map you have provided when a street shows partly out with the district border its possible it is entered under a different street name or district. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance"

Did she even read my email? I am made to feel that it is my fault I can't find what I am looking for. It's not just one name or one street - it's a dozen families and more than ten streets. I have even tried to find parents/brothers/sisters of their spouses. Surely I can't have failed to find at least one of them. Can FMP not accept that there is an error with their data? Mistakes happen and maybe someone put the registers aside one Friday night and thought they had finished it, so started on the next one on Monday morning. I've sent them the names, dates of birth and streets and asked them to do the search but I'm not holding my breath for the response.
janiej

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Initial responses from FMP Support are seldom useful - and I say this as someone who ran a support team and is, on average, a defender of FMP. They seem to take a word from the enquiry, find a script containing that word and paste the response in.

In fairness to FMP, some of the complaints that I've seen, don't impress - they are along the lines of, "I know Gran lived there, so she must have been there on the night that the forms were filled in". No, she couldn't possibly have been anywhere else, it seems, she was never ill, had no relatives to visit, etc., etc.

In your case, I am impressed by the approach you have taken with Piece and item numbers. Hopefully you can batter your way through the script driven responders to those who do understand.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:28 pm

janieij
TNA have told us (at a Users' Forum) that the TNA references were removed because they were aware that other people had tried to get the information without paying!. You could ask TNA about your problem, they do charge a research fee even though they don't for other FOI enquiries.
Incidentally Data Protection Act (DPA) applies to people who where born in the last 100 years or deemed to be still alive, so once someone dies DPA should not apply to them.
junkers

Postby janiej » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:40 am

This wasn't the initial response from FMP - that's what annoyed me so much. They had already "taken it further" twice in November and December - the latest query included all the previous emails and yet the person who dealt with it had only done, as you say, AdrianB38, and just picked up a word, carried out a word search on their FAQs and responded accordingly.

Anyway the better news is that somebody has actually read all the way through the last email and tried to carry out the searches I had listed because I just received this

"We have been able to replicate the issue you are reporting with the missing streets. We have passed all of the examples onto our technical team for further investigation. Once we have an update from them we will contact you."
janiej

Postby brunes08 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:51 pm

The National Archives has useful guidance on the contents of the 1939 register. I checked this out because I had found my mother and a cousin listed even though they were both born after 1915. The reason for this, as the guidance shows, is because both had died before 1985. This was the apparent cut off date for checking who was/wasn't still alive. The guidance also explains that serving armed forces were not included in the Register because they were listed elsewhere.
brunes08

Next

Return to Genealogy chat