Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 register

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: 1939 register

Postby meekhcs » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:21 pm

They are updating all the time. My Mother passed away in 1994. Originally her details were locked but now they are open.
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Eating a little humble pie as I was originally a critic of the charges levied by FMP for access to the Register.
I have spent a pleasant couple of hours today searching the register now that it has been added to my subscription.........and I have found new info that I didn't know about! Thank you FMP.
meekhcs

1939 register

Postby philippereynolds » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:19 pm

I have to join Meekhcs in eating humble pie. I was also hugely critical of FMP but having now spent yesterday searching all sorts of family members I can really appreciate what they undertook and how great the information is.

I do have a couple of queries that I hope someone might be able to help with though. I found my paternal grand parents record and was expecting to find their two eldest children, my aunt and uncle. My uncle is an open record even though he didn't die until 2003 but my aunt who died in 1996 is blacked out. Can anyone explain this? I appreciate that someone could have sent a death certificate for my uncle but he had no family and I'm the only person researching my genealogy.

The other question was if there is a blacked out record and you have no idea of who it may be. Is there anyway of finding out at least a name to then see if that person has passed away and get the record opened?

Thanks.

Philippe

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Last edited by philippereynolds on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philippereynolds

Postby ksouthall » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:24 pm

philippereynolds wrote:I have join Meekhcs in eating humble pie. I was also Hugely critical of FMP but having now spent yesterday searching all sorts of family members I can really appreciate what they undertook and how great the information is.

I do have a couple of queries that I hope someone might be able to help with though. I found my paternal grand parents record and was expecting to find their two eldest children, my aunt and uncle. My uncle is an open record even though he didn't die until 2003 but my aunt who died in 1996 is blacked out. Can anyone explain this? I appreciate that someone could have sent a death certificate for my uncle but he had no family and I'm the only person researching my genealogy.

The other question was if there is a blacked out record and you have no idea of who it may be. Is there anyway of finding out at least a name to then see if that person has passed away and get the record opened?

Thanks.

Philippe

Your uncle may have been matched up in some way through his date of birth, if that appears on the death indexes. Did your aunt marry? If so, she may not have been matched up if they could not match her married name with the record on the Register. It would be to do with cross-referencing records. Or perhaps someone else has opened up your uncle's record by providing a copy of his death certificate.
ksouthall

Postby philippereynolds » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Didn't think about my aunt's married name. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

Postby agk1924 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Is anyone having the same problem as me ?
After receiving an email from FMP to say that all deaths up to 2006 had now been updated on the 1939 Register - I decided to try to find my parents, as I had no idea where they had been evacuated to. My father died in 2006 and I found him quite quickly using his birth date, but I have been unable to find my mother, who died in 2000.
I contacted FMP via the online chat to be told that 'unfortunately they have not been allowed to open some records' but could not give a reason why. They said I would only be able to find her if I knew her actual address at that time (there must be many of us trying to locate the whereabouts of now deceased parents who had been evacuated away from their families). Even though I can provide copies of the relevant birth, marriage and death certificates they are unable to open her record as I don't know the actual address where she was living !!!
The point I am trying to make is that I have found everyone else in my family on the 1939 Register by using their birth dates, so why not my mother ?
FMP were no help whatsoever in resolving my query.
agk1924

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:23 pm

My memory of the updating with recent deaths mail is that they would attempt to match those deaths. Key word - attempt. If the death cannot be matched by name and date of birth, then the record cannot be opened. As family historians, we know that such easy matches are not always possible. There is no other means of doing that matching.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:24 pm

agk1924 wrote:Is anyone having the same problem as me ?
After receiving an email from FMP to say that all deaths up to 2006 had now been updated on the 1939 Register - I decided to try to find my parents, as I had no idea where they had been evacuated to. My father died in 2006 and I found him quite quickly using his birth date, but I have been unable to find my mother, who died in 2000.
I contacted FMP via the online chat to be told that 'unfortunately they have not been allowed to open some records' but could not give a reason why. They said I would only be able to find her if I knew her actual address at that time (there must be many of us trying to locate the whereabouts of now deceased parents who had been evacuated away from their families). Even though I can provide copies of the relevant birth, marriage and death certificates they are unable to open her record as I don't know the actual address where she was living !!!
The point I am trying to make is that I have found everyone else in my family on the 1939 Register by using their birth dates, so why not my mother ?
FMP were no help whatsoever in resolving my query.

If your mother had been evacuated, is it possible her date of birth was not entered correctly due to lack of the correct paperwork? Have you tried a year or two either side?
ksouthall

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:25 pm

Another possible cause of a mismatch is that the original page in the 1939 Register was never updated with your mother's married name. The death index appears to contain the current name only plus exact date of birth as known to the informant. The Register started with the name in 1939 so if the update was never made, then it will not be recognised as her.

Another possibility is two people of the same name born on the same day. They absolutely must not unlock both so they can't do anything.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:57 pm

I think that FMP are talking rubbish over the death indexes, for unmarried or remarried women it would mean checking marriage indexes and death indexes most of which do not have full names and therefore you cannot be sure which entry is the one you want. The way FMP have handled this is dreadful as they know why they have been told not to open some of the data but it appears they have not told their telephone contact staff!.
junkers

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat