Moderator Control Panel ]

Frederick Bowden army career

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Frederick Bowden army career

Postby vito74 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:14 pm

My great grandad was in the army in the First World War. I been trying to find out what regiment he was in. He lived in or around East Ham London about that time. He could have been in the 32nd Royal fusiliers regiment that was based in East Ham. Has anyone any helpful information to help me find out.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Re: Frederick Bowden army career

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:16 pm

This is potentially a huge task - you need to start by reading up on some of the topics. There are several places to learn - the Long, Long Trail web-site http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/ has a section on research, e.g.

"the 32nd Royal fusiliers regiment" - this will presumably be the 32nd Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment - not to be confused with the London Regiment, by the way. As I think you realise, just because he came from East Ham, doesn't mean that's the one he went into. If you were conscripted, you went where you were needed and before that, if you had mates in another unit (like the Artillery or another infantry regiment), you might volunteer for that one.

Something like 2/3 to 3/4 of the personnel papers from the WW1 British Army were destroyed as the result of an incendiary attack on the warehouse they were stored in, so you may never find sufficient detail to decide which Frederick Bowden is yours. But one tip is to see if you can find him in any Absent Voters' Lists, which are the Electoral Registers for those with (in today's terms) a postal vote. These are useful because they record someone in (hopefully) a recognisable form - name and address - and give the guy's unit and serial number in that unit.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Was Frederick Bowden his full name?

When was he born (even approximately)?
peter kent

Postby vito74 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:51 pm

His full name was Frederick John Bowden. He was born 1893 in June I think.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Postby vito74 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:49 pm

He might have been a SGT when he was invalid out.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Return to Military help