Moderator Control Panel ]

Any clues on this photo gratefully received!

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Any clues on this photo gratefully received!

Postby ianbee » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:47 pm

I think Jane has found him via VWF
Royal Field Artillery, no. 65460
Army record on fmp includes some details of the marriage, and a copy of the death cert! (died Chase Farm Hospital)
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Jane, off topic I know, but if you are going to TNA
You will know that the LDS Family History Centre is there
They have some registers of Huddersfield Cemetery on microfilm. Presumably this is Edgerton?
Register of burials, Huddersfield Cemetery, Yorkshire, 1855-1955
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... h%20Centre

Apologies if this is on your agenda, or if you have seen them already
Ian
EDIT Good grief, we can see them online! If we click on the camera icon under "format", next to the film number in the catalogue list on Family Search.
ianbee

Postby JaneyH » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Ian - many thanks for flagging this. I don't have time to look at all the details now (big meetings at work tomorrow, so must head upstairs ...) but will check it out properly tomorrow evening. I did, however, find a very kindly soul in Huddersfield via Rootschat who not only located but photographed the gravestone of my 3x great-grandfather Joseph Entwistle. Turns out he made 6,600 coffins during his life as a carpenter/joiner!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby JaneyH » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Oh goodness, Ian! I've just seen your post (on topic). I found the discharge record for 1906 but was far from certain whether this was 'my' Charlie Barne(s). More to do tomorrow evening ... better get the boy into bed early and encourage husband to find a film to watch!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:47 pm

Go to the last few images (if you haven't done so already) and there is a section there for next of kin - his father's name is there, crossed out, then at least 2 more names. It also (close to the end) records when and who he married.

Ironically, I'd looked at this chap myself earlier but saw nothing to link him in the first few pages, so gave up on him...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Ian and Adrian, you are both stars!

When I looked at the FMP record yesterday I only saw the initial image, which was the discharge form from 2 April 1906. While this looked hopeful I was still unsure whether it was the right person, especially with such a common name. It really didn't occur to me that there were subsequent pages concerning the same individual.

After your prompting I've now seen the several more pages that follow!!! This is my biggest family history 'find' for almost two years, and I'm most grateful to you both. Everything stacks up: father's name, wife's name, date/place of death, subsequent address after service. I haven't transcribed all the service details line-by-line yet (but the good news is that I'm on holiday from work for the rest of the week). However a quick glance clearly shows service in South Africa during the Boer War, and also service in India which matches family stories from my great-grandmother.

Last of all, Charlie was my grandmother's favourite uncle, and today is the 100th anniversary of my grandmother's birth - a fitting coincidence.

Janey
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:23 pm

A definite case of "Charlie is my darling"?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Military help