Moderator Control Panel ]

Family tree information for my children

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Family tree information for my children

Postby florna » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:23 am

Using Family Tree Maker and my Ancestry.co.uk subscription I have accumulated data for over 3000 people in my family tree. The data is supplemented by an extensive range of media e.g. copies of census sheets; BMD certificates and numerous photographs.
How can I make this info available to my widespread children when I have passed on and the Ancestry subscription has closed?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
florna

Re: Family tree information for my children

Postby pete25 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi there,

Make sure your Ancestry tree is on public view and not on 'private'.
After you have passed, regardless of you having no Ancestry subscription, your family will be able to view all of your tree content.
Sorry, I don't know any other websites where you can leave your ancestry tree accessible. However, I'm sure other WDYTYA members can help you with this.
All the best and kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Guy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:08 pm

florna wrote:Using Family Tree Maker and my Ancestry.co.uk subscription I have accumulated data for over 3000 people in my family tree. The data is supplemented by an extensive range of media e.g. copies of census sheets; BMD certificates and numerous photographs.
How can I make this info available to my widespread children when I have passed on and the Ancestry subscription has closed?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The most obvious solution is to remove it from Ancetry immediately and store it on your home computer.
After you have done that basic step you can then upload your data to any numer of free wbsites that are available which allow people to access the data free of any subscription charge.
You could also use the software on your computer to print the data in book form so that it is available without the need to have a computer at all.

But first keep control of your data by keeping the master file on your home computer.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:24 am

One such site I use, is Tribalpages. I keep my tree on my local computer as Guy suggested, then I upload my gedcom to Tribalpages as a security backup. This also doubles as a way of allowing others to access the data. You could also give your children 'Administrator' rights, allowing them to add/edit the tree themselves at some future date.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AntonyM » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:42 am

I would second Guy's recommendation and ensure that you have the information made available in some printed form. Don't rely on the computer data being available and in a readable format for ever.

Paper is still the most durable medium for long term storage ( unless you want to go for vellum or parchment !).
AntonyM

Return to Technical help