Moderator Control Panel ]

Fairey Aviation

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Fairey Aviation

Postby tiggerhill00 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:06 pm

My grandfather worked at Fairey in Hayes for quite some time. Part of his time was over the war years. He said he built spitfires. My dad said it was secretive and something to do with propellars. The information I have found online about Fairey doesn't mention spitfires. Was he making it up or was it secretive?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
tiggerhill00

Re: Fairey Aviation

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:14 pm

According to Wikipedia, Fairey did have its propeller (or airscrew, to use the alternative name) construction at Hayes, as well as aircraft construction. So they might have built propellers for Spitfires, though I could only find references to Rotol and de Havilland propellers on Spitfires.

I did try to find where Spitfires were built during the war - none of the places included Hayes. It wouldn't make sense, I think, as Fairey had enough on its plate trying to build its own stuff, though it did also have a factory up near Manchester.

It may be that Hayes built or repaired Spitfire propellers under contract to the main supplier, which might or might not have been de Havilland's. Or it might be that any wartime aircraft got called a Spitfire if you wanted to impress someone - and you never saw anything other than the prop.

I suspect that establishing the truth will need contact with some hardcore aircraft historians.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby tiggerhill00 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Thank you. Would you happen to know where the archives for Fairey might be found?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
tiggerhill00

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Not a clue! But start with Discovery, the TNA Catalogue (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/) and search for "Fairey Aviation". Although it's the TNA Catalogue, it also incorporates entries from some (not all) record offices across the country.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help