Moderator Control Panel ]

George Ralph Singleton. WW1; Why the CEF?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

George Ralph Singleton. WW1; Why the CEF?

Postby Singleton1922 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 pm

My Great Uncle was born in Salisbury 18/07/1889 and died in France 28/09/1918.
The details I have found from the CWGC show that he was a member of the CEF and was a Company Quarter-Master Sergeant in the Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan regiment). He is buried in the Haynecourt british cemetery.
His Attestation papers show previous service with the 3rd Wiltshire Regiment although he shows his occupation as 'farmer' when he signed in 1914.
There is no apparent family connection to Canada. I think I read that soldiers joined the Canadian forces as the pay was better but I've no idea if that is true.

I've attached a photo of George (standing) with my grandfather Thomas (seated). It's unfortunately of poor quality and I'm not sure when it was taken.

I would love to hear from anyone who can give me any background details.

Thank you
Sandra
Attachments
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2168 times
Singleton1922

Re: George Ralph Singleton. WW1; Why the CEF?

Postby ColinB » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:03 am

His record of service with the Wiltshire Regiment is on findmypast. He served from 1904 to 1906. He emigrated to Canada in 1911 , intending to work as a farm labourer. The Passenger List can be seen here :

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1823240

In the early 1900s there was a big increase in emigration to Canada. There is more information about that here :
http://www.british-immigrants-in-montre ... 1900s.html

It is not particularly unusual to come across relatives emigrating to Canada and then joining the Canadian forces. I have quite a number in my own family , none of whom had any prior links to Canada.

Edit : I forgot to say that you will be able to view the whole of his CEF record when Library & Archives Canada have completed their Digitization Project. At the moment I believe they are up to G. http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/m ... itage.aspx
ColinB

Postby coopernicola » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:54 pm

I have a number of ancestors who went over to Canada between 1911 & 1914, there are some who joined CEF and others who joined regiments back in England. In some families this was different for brothers, some CEF and others England. They were mostly agricultural or ordinary labourers, perhaps they went to Canada for adventure but it seems some wanted to return home to enlist.
coopernicola

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:59 pm

coopernicola wrote:I have a number of ancestors who went over to Canada between 1911 & 1914, there are some who joined CEF and others who joined regiments back in England. In some families this was different for brothers, some CEF and others England. They were mostly agricultural or ordinary labourers, perhaps they went to Canada for adventure but it seems some wanted to return home to enlist.

Thank you Nicola; I had no idea this was so common. Many of us have family living far away now but with Skype and efficient means of travel this doesn't seem such a big deal. How different it would have been in the early twentieth century when communication and travel took so much longer.

Sandra
Singleton1922

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Thank you Colin; that was really helpful. The passenger list wasn't on Ancestry but I'll be taking up a subscription with Find my past in the New Year so hopefully will be able to access different records there. I hadn't realised George was living in Canada and he actually married in Salisbury in March 1916. His address is given as Shorncliffe which I've googled just now. Apparently it's an Army base in Kent and from April 1915 it was home to a Canadian Training Division.

I'm looking forward to seeing his record with the CEF although it's a shame that it'll probably take a couple of years or so to get to the letter S.

I'll be passing this new information on to the Aunt who showed me that photo of her father and brother. I'm sure she'll be interested to know more.
Singleton1922

Postby coopernicola » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:16 am

Check out ColinB's link, they seem to have records for a number of Singletons...
coopernicola

Postby Singleton1922 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks Nicola.

I've just checked that and he is there. However it seems that the database has the Attestation Paper for all(?) of the soldiers whereas only the ones at the start of the alphabet have full records. I looked at one of those at random and it includes something like 40 pages so clearly it's going to be worth the wait.
Singleton1922

Return to Military help