Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Rainsford Mills Royal Lancaster Regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Richard Rainsford Mills Royal Lancaster Regiment

Postby N50BBY » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 am

Hi
I wonder if anyone could assist me with anymore information on my GG Uncle's army career Richard Rainsford Mills born 1864 and if he might have accumulated a family on his travels.....
His army record on findmypast shows he was in the 3rd Royal Lancaster Regiment in East India and served there between 23rd Feb 1886 and 10th April 1892. On his record he is also only listed as Richard Mills.
Is there anywhere on the internet that might point me in any direction as to if he may have married in India or had children "officially" where I might search further please?
Anything further about his army career other than what I've found on findmypast would be great too!
Thanks
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
N50BBY

Re: Richard Rainsford Mills Royal Lancaster Regiment

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:16 pm

For India, look on http://www.fibis.org/ for a guide about where to look. It'll also tell you about the British Army there. If you have his personnel papers off FindMyPast, then logically you have all the surviving Army detail. You might find him mentioned in magazines or newspapers, say, but that will be the purest fluke. Army bureaucracy weeded out all non-essential papers.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby N50BBY » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks Adrian. I'll check it out, much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
N50BBY

Postby Sylcec » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:00 am

Familysearch have indexed most of the baptism, marriage and burial records from the India Office Collection at the British Library - it is easy to run a parent search using this facility and I have done this. However, I could not identify any baptisms with father Richard Mills within the time frame given. If suitable references had been found, it would then be possible to go to Findmypast and view the digitised registers, as they have also indexed the bulk of the collection and uploaded digital images.
Sylcec

Return to Military help