Moderator Control Panel ]

Leonard George Lee - Royal Artillery WW2 Records help please

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Leonard George Lee - Royal Artillery WW2 Records help please

Postby KeithLee » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi all, and I hope you don't mind that my first post is a request for information.

I have been tracing my family tree (on and off) for years, but I'm trying to concentrate on military records on my Paternal side.

I have found a lot about my G Grandfather already, including his service record for his Territorial Service, the Boer and First World Wars, but I'm struggling to find references to my Grandad's records from WW2.

Living so far away from London, it's not that easy to pop into the normal places to have a look and I thought before I write off to Glasgow, I'd try on here first......

So - I'm trying to trace any and all military details about Leonard George Lee (also known as 'Nobby'), born in Longford, Middlesex on 12 May 1909, who served throughout WW2 in the Royal Artillery as a Light AA gunner (I believe).

He never spoke about his time away, but it's possible that he was injured at some point and that may have been in North Africa, because he certainly served there.

Sadly he died in Jan 1994 and prior to his death, during a house move, his medals were lost. There are rumours he was cited for, but never collected, some form of gallantry award, as I think by the time the supposed award came though, he had already been demobbed and wanted nothing more to do with the Army!

Bizarrely, this didn't put off his sons (my Dad and Uncle) from joining up in 1946, and naturally I had to continue the tradition!

If I can get at least the info about the medals, that would be great, as I want to get copies made to give to my Dad as a present, along with those earned by my G Grandad in Africa and France.

Sorry it's been a long-winded first post, but I'll be eternally grateful for any help anyone can give.

Kind Regards,

Keith
KeithLee

Re: Leonard George Lee - Royal Artillery WW2 Records help pl

Postby KeithLee » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Just a quick footnote - my Dad's side of the family do have a habit of using their middle names, rather than first names and I'm currently drawing a blank on getting an Army number for my Grandad, but I'll update if I get any further info ......
KeithLee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:57 pm

All service records from WW2 (indeed post 1920) remain with the Ministry of Defence. Provided you have the death certificate, the next of kin can get a copy on payment and after due time for them to find them.

What I can't do is give you the URL so you'll need to Google it.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby KeithLee » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks for the reply, and I did think everything was held at Glasgow, but seeing all the different websites around, all seeming to have 'WW2 Records', I just assumed some had been made public?

Is that not the case then?
KeithLee

Postby peter kent » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Is that not the case then?

There are quite a lot of WW2 operational records available but you want his service record. The position is exactly as Adrian stated.

Here is the website for service record applications:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
peter kent

Return to Military help