Moderator Control Panel ]

Kings Own Liverpool Regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Kings Own Liverpool Regiment

Postby Redh3rring » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:56 pm

I am trying to find out a little more about my great-grandfather's army history. It would appear that he volunteered for the King's Own Liverpool Regiment as a territorial in 1912 for the 4th battalion, enlisting at Barrow.

He was present for training at Kirkham, then Denbigh (latter in 1915).

His record appears to show he was with the 12th in 1917 (he had been found fit for home service only). There is also a note of 41st provisional- I think that is connected with home duties.

Then I think he was transferred to 25th. It would appear he went to Egypt in 1918 and anecdotal information has him in Jerusalem too. It is this information of his service abroad that i really want to know.

Plus have I read the information correctly- so hard to read as the condition of the records are not good in parts. Does this ring true?

Appreciate any help.
Redh3rring

Re: Kings Own Liverpool Regiment

Postby Sylcec » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:29 am

Hi - we would be happy to check your gt grandfather's WWI records for you - only to do so, you need to give us his name!!

For the sort of detail you are looking for about his time with HM ? 25th Regt in 1918, you will probably need to consult the Unit War Diaries. (?Did this regiment even exist after 1881 - think it became the King's Own Scottish Borderers, but can't find them in Egypt in 1918). Maybe he was with one of the ASC Labour corps.
Sylcec

Postby Redh3rring » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:46 am

Hi

He was John Alexander McIntyre born in Glasgow in 1881, but living in Barrow in Furness by 1911. There are a total of 27 records, some with no information and in varying degrees of quality. He was a railway coach painter, though one record lists him as a painter and decorator. He enlisted in Barrow.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Redh3rring

Postby peter kent » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:32 am

the condition of the records are not good in parts. Does this ring true?

Do you not know the history of the records? Perhaps you should read the description in the National Archives catalogue for series WO363

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... s/r/C14567

What was your man's regimental number? It will help us to find him.
peter kent

Postby peter kent » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:59 am

King's Own Liverpool Regiment

There was The King's Regiment (Liverpool).

There was also the King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). This was the county regiment of North Lancashire, encompassing also its Militia and Volunteer infantry. I think this might be what your man joined but perhaps transferred,

It looks as if he transferred from the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment to the King's Liverpool Regiment in 1918. Does that seem right?
peter kent

Postby Redh3rring » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:30 pm

His regiment number has been crossed out (can't read) and a new number entered 243042. His number is 265757 written on a piece of paper with bounty price £15 of which £5 was issued and the remainder owed. That is dated 16/4/17. It states 12th Royal Lancaster, Preston. Whereas the one from 1912 states 4th battalion Kings Own Regt.

I think he did do some transferring around and unfortunately my grandfather was always vague about his dad's service, but then it was before he was born.
Hope that helps.
Redh3rring

Postby Redh3rring » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:43 pm

I think that they definitely form part of the burnt records. I have attached part of one of the records, which shows some of the information I am trying to understand. It also shows the damage to the bottom and side of the record.
Attachments
John Mcintyre service records copy.jpeg
John Mcintyre service records copy.jpeg (184.21 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Redh3rring

Postby peter kent » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:43 pm

"Burnt documents" is the popular name for series WO363. It's not the appearance, It's the citation that's important.

During his time in the Kings Liverpool Regiment, it looks as if he was in the 1st Garrison Battalion and the 25th Battalion. You should be able to find war diaries for the 25th - search for 25 Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment in series WO95. Can't imagine there'd be any for the 1st Garrison Battalion.
peter kent

Postby Redh3rring » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Many thanks. I will check out the war diaries.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Redh3rring

Return to Military help