Moderator Control Panel ]

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby pete25 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:44 am

Hi all,

I read today, via email from Ancestry, that the family tree maker software will soon be a thing of the past. Last sale date will be the 31st of this month.

How does this affect you and what are the consequences of it being altogether no more from January 2017?

Kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby Sylcec » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:55 am

doesn't affect me at all as I have happily used Legacy Family Tree for many years.
Sylcec

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:55 am

I must be clairvoyant! I stopped using FTM about a month ago, and changed to Family Historian 6, and what a refreshing change I found it to be.

No longer is data stored in a hidden database, which the user can't access. Everything in FH6 is accessible, and with the use of 'plugins' (little programs written by users to enhance FH6, and freely available to other users) practically anything can be achieved.
e.g. Want a list of people who were born in Kent but married in Middlesex? A simple query in FH6 will give it you! You will only be limited by your imagination.

I am still learning how to drive it properly, but so far, I am very impressed!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:33 am

Sylvia

As a matter of interest do you use the standard ore deluxe edition of Legacy? I have had a look on their website and as usual there is a plethora of different packages on offer!!

I would welcome your advice.

Thanks Sally
meekhcs

Postby John Butt » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I used The Master Genealogist until it was no longer supported and migrated (with difficulty) to FTM. Then FTM in an update deleted the bridge facility. Now I have to migrate again. I am looking at Family Historian 6 and Rootsmagic. Can either import FTM files or does it have to be a gedcom export/input (not the most satisfactory method). Can any one advise?
John
John Butt

Postby 2012girl » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:07 pm

I have used FTM for the last 5 or 6 years. I've always got along well with it and keep it updated on my laptop, but don't have my tree linked up or synced with the website, nor do I have a current subscription to Ancestry, though I have had in the past and found the 'hints' function helpful on occasion.

I'm not very technologically minded but as mentioned elsewhere, I'm assuming it will continue to work as a Family Tree software, but just won't be linked up to the site any more. Well I would hope so anyway, the announcement doesn't make any of this clear and a lot of people seem to be under the impression it's just not going to work full stop after the specified date.

I do not wish to have my tree online, nor in cyber space somewhere, but neither do I want to lose all my hard earned work should the program stop functioning or no longer be compatible in the future. I have a backup of my tree but, like John, not sure if it is in a format that will allow it to be imported to other software if necessary? I shall have to look into that pronto! I do hope that Ancestry are going to address these issues and clarify things to ensure nothing is lost, what a disaster that would be!
2012girl

Postby pete25 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi there,

Thanks to Mick Loney I will be purchasing Family Historian 6.
Just been reading the reviews and I feel I won't go wrong with this family history kit.

Thanks everyone,

Pete.

pete25

Postby Redh3rring » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:43 pm

I have just spent this afternoon removing my on line family trees, something I had been meaning to do for some time. I migrated to Reunion earlier this year. Much prefer it and all the information stays with me.

Redh3rring

Postby callbrian » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi
very disappointed with Ancestry. My group of Family Historians have various versions, which we use regularly. The online version is also used but with poor Internet connection here in Cornwall, it takes an age to open and use Ancestry online, so we rely heavily on FTM.
Looking at the Ancestry blog, by 4pm today there were over 5,400 comments. Although I obviously haven't read them all, I didn't find one in favour. Will now look at an alternative.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:58 pm

This is unbelievable news! One point however, is that I doubt VERY MUCH that the software will just fail on 31st. That could not happen, there would be hundreds of furious historians suing Ancestry for a fortune. But it is beyond belief that they will no longer update and support the programme.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Next

Return to Genealogy chat