Moderator Control Panel ]

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby JaneyH » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:43 am

The email says "we have heard your concerns" and it looks like they really have. Indeed, there will now be two options for running desktop software which links to Ancestry. A bit of a turnaround from two months ago when they said desktop software was a declining market and not worth the effort!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:08 am

Not that much of a turnaround. Ancestry still don't want to be in the desktop game and they won't be.

What I do find curious is that in December they said that they weren't selling the FTM software to any company. Now they have. I can only guess that Mackiev weren't playing ball to start with. The only other possibility is some Stock Exchange or competition rules precluding a private sale. Such rules probably explain why Ancestry couldn't come to a private agreement with RM about giving them access to TreeSync and the current FTM file format but had to wait for a public announcement first.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi Brian,

I received an email yesterday regarding what you say.

Kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat