Moderator Control Panel ]

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:41 am

Pete - the Family Historian User Group site contains lots of advice in its Knowledge Base and forum. I think that the consensus is that yes, you can transfer your tree from Ancestry into a GEDCOM file and then into FH. However the better route if you have FTM, is to synch Ancestry to FTM first and then produce the GEDCOM for FH from FTM. This is because the direct GEDCOM from Ancestry does not contain any images, whereas the synch to FTM and the GEDCOM from FTM to FH both DO contain images. (This may, of course, be what you intended anyway).

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Hi AdrianB38,

Thank you for your latest post...much appreciated.
I don't have Family Tree Maker so not able to follow your very informative advice.

Kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby pete25 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Family History 6 software has just arrived...lets see how I get on with this little lot.

pete25

Postby JaneyH » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:44 am

I'm following this discussion with great interest - I will probably replace FTM2014 at some point in the next few months. All my data files (BMD register entries, Census pages, scanned photos, certificates etc) are saved on my laptop and backed up to an external drive, as well as my actual tree files. I suppose I could still do this with just an online tree but it would all be rather fiddly. However what I'm not prepared to do is rely solely on someone else's cloud-based storage. I'm assuming that the magazine will be doing a comprehensive assessment of options before too long ...

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby pete25 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi Adrian,

I've now also purchased Family Tree Maker. I've decided on this because non of my pictures/records etc have downloaded to Family Historian 6...I was informed of this.
After your advice however, I've decided to invest in the Family Tree Maker and I will now follow your advice. I might need more advice from you if that's ok?

Kind regards,

Pete.

pete25

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 pm

Not a good idea Pete ;) - I don't use FTM and was just quoting from the FH User Group where that advice had sunk in to even me...

Have you found the FH User Group section on Import from FTM? On http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker Further down that page there are also links to UG threads.

There is an Import from Ancestry on http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:import_from_ancestry which is where it warns that going via FTM is more likely to work if you have images.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:07 am

What's not a good idea Adrian?

pete25

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:59 am

Oops - sorry, Pete. Coming to me for advice about FTM or transferring stuff from FTM to FH is not a good idea as I have no experience of it. Better that you read those references in the FHUG first and then go there if you need further advice.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Adrian,

No problems as I'm not very good at this sort of thing. However, I will learn quickly.
My Family Tree Maker 2012 has arrived today, and I must say, I like it already. My images are downloading slowly but surely and just over half way completed.
I'll find, eventually, how to get all these images/documents onto the Family Historian 6 software and will let you know in due course.

Thanks Adrian and kind regards,

Pete.

pete25

Postby callbrian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:22 am

Hi
I expect all FTM users and Ancestry subscribers have received an email but for those who haven't. Ancestry are using Software company Mackiev and Rootsmagic to continue FTM software, updates and hints etc. I assume subscribers and users will be contacted in due course, before 31 Dec 2016.
Further info can be found on Ancestry's blog.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat