Moderator Control Panel ]

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby callbrian » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi
there is the following link on the Ancestry blog/Family tree maker, that maybe of interest. It is one of the 9000+ (2 posts regarding the "retirement') mostly unfavourable comments made on the blog.
http://lisalouisecooke.com/2015/12/ance ... -software/
regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby meekhcs » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Brian

Thanks very much for the link - it is a really informative post.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby pete25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks Brian,

Great post.

Glad I started this chat as I've learnt a lot...thank you all.

Kind regards and all the very best for Christmas and the new year. Looking forward to 2016.

This year people have helped me locate ancestors/records who I had many a headache looking for and finding by myself....much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby callbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi
If anyone is interested and has read lisa louise's blog from my previous post. Rootsmagic are offering their version 7 at $20 (c£13.33) until Dec 19. This is for the download plus a download of the manual, the cd and manual will be more expensive as p&p is $25. Or you could try the trial version for free, same website. Special code needs to be applied for the discount.
I am slightly surprised Mr. Hulet has not added any further reply to his two original posts, seeing the comments on their blog has now got close to 10000.
Regards
Brian
callbrian

Postby paulr1949 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Just looking at software to consider changin to and found that Family Historian are offering a discount of 20% on a download licence "for a limited time". I had a look at the link for a discount on Rootsmagic as well, and suspect that it is not for the UK version, although I'm willing to be proved wrong ;)
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Cnthree3 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:42 pm

For me it is a disaster. I am writing a book of my family tree and only started a few months ago. I have subscribed to ancestory and bought family tree maker to enable me to download the documents I trace. Without FTM I am not sure how to download them as PDFs as they seem to just be web links.

In addition I love the charting options but now I am going to have to manually update FTM with each fact.

And finally the person reports are excellent for putting streight into my book. Now again i have to manually input the facts to get the reports.

All in all I am gutted. I would happily pay a bit more on my subscription to have the link.

Cnthree3

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Cnthree3 wrote:... now I am going to have to manually update FTM with each fact. ...

Nothing will happen for 12 months. That is why Ancestry have given this much notice.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby callbrian » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 am

Hi
the Rootsmagic download is from the US but is the UK version. As far as I can see it is the Standard Version 7. Reading the blog for Rootsmagic the only real difference between the UK & US versions are spell check and date set up. These can be change when downloaded.
Although as Adrian says " There is a year to make your mind up".
Brian
callbrian

Postby paulr1949 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:16 am

Thanks. I've decided to go for family historian in the end. Already transferred my tree but need to check through the errors. There's a good simple guide on the fh website

Paul
paulr1949

Postby pete25 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:26 am

Hi, I've now decided to purchase Family Historian 6. I believe I can download my family history from Ancestry onto FH6...here's hoping it's a worthwhile purchase.

pete25

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat