Moderator Control Panel ]

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:31 pm

Sally,

My (admittedly biased) opinion is to leave Windows 10 alone. Microsoft, like other software vendors, issue new software too quickly, without ironing out all the bugs first. If you really must move to 10, I suggest you wait until after they issue the first update.

I have Multimedia PC, with built-in TV, initially running on Windows 7. When i began having minor problems, I updated to Windows 8, but then found I had to pay extra for the Media Player (for the TV) as it wasn't included in the standard upgrade! Then, when I tried to upgrade again to Windows 10, I found I would lose the Media Player, as it wasn't compatible with Windows10, AND there isn't a version available for Windows 10, so I'd lose my built in TV if I did upgrade.

Moral of the story? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. i.e. Leave well alone.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Fundamentally, Sally, I agree with the "If it ain't broke..." principle. If you're on W7 then that's a good place to be. Small correction to what Mick says - Microsoft intend to just roll out small changes little and often, so don't wait for Windows 10.1 as there won't be one.

If you are definitely going to get a new laptop in the foreseeable future, there's a good argument for leaving Windows 10 until then - the easiest way to upgrade your operating system is to buy a new machine and let the manufacturers sort out the stuff.

Just don't do everything at once. As you realise, I think.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Adrian and Mick

Yes I am also a great believer in "if it aint broke..................................Just needed to be reassured.

Thanks Guys very much for you help and patience.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby callbrian » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:15 am

Hi Sally,
I and one of my "learners" have just upgraded to Windows 10. I had 8.1 she had 7. I am, so far, pleased I did. It got rid of the annoying "charms" that kept popping up at the side of the screen.I don't use a media player so no problem for me. My learner has only just, last week, upgraded and I haven't had contact, so can't say what, if any advantage in 7. Although in principal, if it ain't broke etc....
Regarding you're own website. I created my own, for my learners only to use. I used Wordpress, which is free, if you choose a free themed set of pages, to create and update. It has improved recently, making it easier to update items. Check it out and see if it offers what you require. http://www.wordpress.com
Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Guy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:40 am

callbrian wrote:Hi Sally,
I and one of my "learners" have just upgraded to Windows 10. I had 8.1 she had 7. I am, so far, pleased I did. It got rid of the annoying "charms" that kept popping up at the side of the screen.I don't use a media player so no problem for me. My learner has only just, last week, upgraded and I haven't had contact, so can't say what, if any advantage in 7. Although in principal, if it ain't broke etc....
Regarding you're own website. I created my own, for my learners only to use. I used Wordpress, which is free, if you choose a free themed set of pages, to create and update. It has improved recently, making it easier to update items. Check it out and see if it offers what you require. http://www.wordpress.com
Regards
Brian

One advantage of Windows 10 over 8 and possibly 7 is it is far better at running legacy software.
It will for instance run the 1881 census software (on both 32bit & 64bit operating systems, though some 64 bit set-ups may have difficulties) that Windows 8 would not run allowing Scottish researchers the chance to access that census free of charge again.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby joanchop » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:09 am

madducks wrote:What does anyone think of rootsmagic? Its the only software I have used and it does have many pro and cons.

I, too, would be interested in what people think about Root's Magic. I am looking at three programmes to replace FTM; Legacy, Roots Magic, and Family Historian. Would welcome anyone's opinion on each of these please?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
joanchop

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:38 am

Don't know about the other but Roots Magic do an RM Essentials edition for free and Family Historian does a 30? day free trial. Both are slightly limited in some fashion compared to the full fat versions, but plenty to get a decent impression from. Also, look at their support sites.

While the conversion of your existing data is hugely important, it's also potentially difficult to assess in a short timescale because you really need to understand the new software first.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm moving this thread to the 'Genealogy Chat' section – hope that's ok!

Cheers,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby pete25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:54 pm

I started it Jon and have no problem you moving it to the chat section.

All the best and kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby pete25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm relatively new Jon and will remember to put any future chat posts in the 'chat forum'.

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat