Moderator Control Panel ]

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:29 pm

You could produce a GEDCOM file off the Ancestry site. Or you could produce a GEDCOM file out of your existing desktop software if you have one.

Then you could load either GEDCOM file into FH.

However - even though GEDCOM is supposed to be a standard, many programs make a poor job of producing it. FH claims 100% compliance by the way and I'm not about to argue.

It's very possible that you'd be better producing your GEDCOM out of FTM if that's what you have as the Ancestry variant doesn't have any images. Once you have the GEDCOM loaded into FH you'll have a lot of the stuff loaded fine but because of the poor programming in the producer program, a lot won't be. Fortunately most of this stuff is on the file just in the wrong format. What FH has is a number of plugins designed to rescue as much as possible of the garbage and put it in the right place.

You should take a look at the FH User Group which has various threads and knowledge base articles about how to load stuff from different sources - there's a lot there for loading from TMG and there'll be more coming for loading from FTM.

One piece of advice - don't rush! You will have plenty of time to do this.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:08 am

Guy - or any other knowledgable person!

Could you expound on the 3rd part apps re FH for me please, as in how it could impact on my situation as explained below ?

At the moment I have a private tree on Ancestry. It is private purely because it contains sensitive info that pertains to my immediate Family only.

I want to move my tree to a programme that can be used solely by my Family, and which I will condense to our direct lines. Several Family members are interested in my findings, but I do not want to give them access via Ancestry. It is unwieldy to look at for the novice, and contains many more lines than they will be interested in.

Once I have done that I will remove sensistive info from my Ancestry tree and make it public.

May I also ask is it possible to host more than one tree on the likes of FH or split lines as in for example mine andmy husabnd's maternal and paternal lines!

Mick - I appreciate you have put a link to FH on the Forum, and I will look at it. I just wanted to establish a base before doing so.

Thank you Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Sally - Family Historian is about maintaining data on your PC. It doesn't offer any mechanism for people from elsewhere to see your data in real time. FH will produce diagrams and reports (that you can distribute electronically or on paper); it will identify data matches in the online MyHeritage databases (but, so far as I know, won't do any synching up to MyHeritage); it will produce web-pages (but you'll need to find a server to host them on - and if that means nothing to you, I wouldn't blame you!) And the current plug-ins only enhance that. They don't talk to anything online.

Seems to me that the crux of your need is about allowing your relatives to see your data online in some sort of controlled manner. And if Ancestry are going to kill the sync between desktop software and the online Ancestry trees, I'm not sure where you can go that isn't major, major hard work. It seems to me that there is a chance that Ancestry may not kill TreeSync but open it up to other companies - after all, they won't be competitors any more. Clearly, despite the screams of the afflicted, Ancestry cannot commit to this - because producing the software on the desktops isn't up to them.

I think, as I have said - the key to all this is - don't rush into it but do some research and trials.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby RutlandPanther » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:23 pm

Sally - If you want to display trees online the best thing to do is buy a program like "The Next Generation", get a domain name, and website host. Obviously this costs money but would allow you as many trees as you wish and you can set permissions for users and the site can be open or password protected - or both. If you search "The Next Generation " online it will tell you more and they also name a hosting company that helps TNG users in particular to set up their site. It isn't so very complicated but initially it is a little bit of an outlay - but you remain in control.
RutlandPanther

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:57 pm

Sally,

You can get your tree on-line for free, without all the fuss of getting a web name etc. Tribalpages website (www.tribalpages.com) offers users a nice website for free, all you have to do is upload your GEDCOM file, the website does all the hard work for you. I have my tree on tribalpages.com, which you can see at www.loney.tribalpages.com

Everyone can see a resticted view of the tree, but I can invite people to see more, or even allow them full access, which enables them to edit the tree.

I use this website a) as a backup of my data, b) to allow others to view the results of my resaerch.

I suggest you give the site a visit, it may be just what you need.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:18 pm

TribalPages does nice diagrams but suffers in a couple of aspects - it doesn't cope with repeated events - some types? all types? Don't remember.

Secondly, every time you need to update it, you either have to do it manually, person at a time, or reload the whole file again. Those restrictions may not be important to you....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SoozOne » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:29 am

There seem to be two postings for the same topic, so I'll put this on both.
I've found a site which does top ten reviews of genealogy software, has a page for PC based, and one for Mac based programmes.
Has a lot of useful comparison data.
I found it by looking for comparisons.
The site is genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com
Interestingly they give FTM gold star top ranking ... But doubtless that will change shortly.

Susan

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby madducks » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 am

What does anyone think of rootsmagic? Its the only software I have used and it does have many pro and cons.
madducks

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:58 am

Adrian, Mick, RutlandPanther

Thank you very much for your responses to my queries.

I had already thought about creating my own website but costs and my distinct lack of competence had already disuaded me from that avenue.

FH6 is obviously very popular and for the "small" personal Family tree that I want to keep out of the publice domain may well suit my needs, especially as it seems to have a good Forum which I will need!! I had a good look at the link you provided Mick thank you. As I am going through some lengthy treatment at the moment I have some time on my hands so it seems a good idea to set this al lin motion now.

I have one more technical question for you. I run a laptop with windows 7and I have the offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10. Am I correct in assuming that it would be sensible to take up this offer before embarking on a new software programme, especially as I am likely to change my laptop in the next 18 months? I don't want any compatibility issues down the line. I will back up everything before switching in case it goes wrong!!

Many thanks as always

Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:39 am

I think another avenue to explore is FamilyTreeBuilder which, I just discovered, will sync to trees on MyHeritage. See Dick Eastman's blog on http://blog.eogn.com/2015/12/11/a-special-offer-for-family-tree-maker-users-myheritage-is-offering-the-family-tree-builder-genealogy-program-for-windows-and-macintosh-plus-an-unlimited-size-family-site-for-free/#comment-214159. NB Dick himself points out that he is sponsored by MyHeritage - nonetheless, it is worth looking at, particularly since it will "will allow for private web sites visible only to the uploader and invited guests."
Adrian
AdrianB38

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat