Moderator Control Panel ]

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby callbrian » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Jane,
they have stated in their email, the support will continue until 01.01.17.
I still think it will make a lot of people "walk away". Especially those with no or slow Internet and no online tree. If you are happy to keep whatever version you have with no updates, there will be no problem.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:15 am

Sally et al - I have used Legacy for more than 15 years - initially I just used the free 'standard' version, but after 2 or 3 years decided to upgrade and pay for the 'de-luxe' features. I know for sure that I only use a portion of the program's capability and features, but have always found it user friendly, and the 'Help' files are particularly good and easily understood. As well as providing several training videos, some free, some not, there is now a very handy Legacy User Group on Facebook, run not by users like you and me, but by people from the organisation.
Hope this helps - Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby SoozOne » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:55 am

I just took a look at the Legacy site but its made purely for PCs. It only runs on Mac if it has Windows adapt sware installed, which ramps the cost and tends to defeat the whole point of having a Mac.

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

FAMILY TREE MAKER soon to be HISTORY

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:09 am

John Butt,

FH6, like most genealogy programs around, does import gedcoms, so you can transfer from FTM quite easily. Saying that though, FTM's gedcom files are not to standard, so there will be some minor issues during the import, but FH6 handles the anomalies quite well, and nothing is lost! There are already one or two plugins available to correct the known problems, and with demise of FTM, I'm sure many more will follow.

I suggest you visit the FH6 user group where you'll find lots of help on this and many other topics.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Mike
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 am

Sylvia

Thanks very much for your reply.

SoozOne thanks for the add'l info re Legacy.

I think I will have to do a lot of research before I purchase.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Guy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:06 am

I regularly check available Family History programs and have done for a number of years.
I have yet to find one that is as good as Brothers Keeper though Family Historian does come a close second.

To me one of the biggest failings of Family Historian, and a security issue, is the fact that third parties can write apps to access data.
At first this seems a plus but unless we the users know and trust who has written the app it could carry a trojan to make the users computer open to intrusion.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby ewanarm » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:18 pm

I have been using FTM since 2010 after I transferred from TMG. I used the 6 month subscription to Ancestry but no longer subscribe and do not have my tree online. I actually subscribe to Find My Past and use FTM as an offline software program. I imagine it will continue to work in this capacity. Hope so as I am constantly cleansing and updating records on it.

Sent from my Lenovo A3500-F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ewanarm

Postby RutlandPanther » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm intrigued why anyone would have moved from using TMG to using FTM five years ago. I do a one name study and have not found any program that is anywhere near as suitable to the late, lamented TMG as a analytical tool. Family Historian looks to be the next best thing but still hasn't the flexibility of TMG.
RutlandPanther

Postby pete25 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to ask:

If I bought Family Historian 6 would I have to start from scratch and add all my family history content myself or can I download my family history from Ancestry.co.uk?

Just looking at this software and it does look and sound good.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Pete,

Rather than answer this myself, (and miss something important), can I direct you to the Family Historian user group/forum. (www.fhug.org.uk). There you will find lots of tutorials, covering this very topic, as well as lots of others.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat