Moderator Control Panel ]

David & Clarissa Wing. Journey to and from Australia

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

David & Clarissa Wing. Journey to and from Australia

Postby coopernicola » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:23 pm

David & Clarissa Wing, both born in Hull, England (1822 & 1826) took an assisted passage to Australia. They appear to have arrived 23 Dec 1841 on the ship William Jardine. I have found a document showing that David was a joiner and Clarissa a milliner when they arrived. Their first child Jane Elizabeth b1842 appears to have been born & baptised in Sydney (FamilySearch. Their second child Joseph was born in Hull 1846, and the family appear in Hull on 1851 census.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for information about:
i. Their stay in Australia
ii. Their return to the UK
coopernicola

Re: David & Clarissa Wing. Journey to and from Australia

Postby ColinB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 pm

I think you will struggle to find their return. Outbound lists from Victoria start in 1852 and the advice on the NSW website is that Outbound lists were not kept routinely until 1898 and that those that were kept have not been digitized :

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-ar ... mmigration

Edit - had a quick look at Trove but the only mention I could find is in a list of Unclaimed Letters in 1843 - David Wing of North Shore - that's in the Sydney Morning Herald 12 May 1843.
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:09 pm

The birth reg for Jane Elizabeth Wing in case you don't have it :

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/li ... h/result?5
ColinB

Postby coopernicola » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks for your help ColinB it looks as though FamilySearch had the correct information for Jane's birth. Also I didn't realise there was a gap with journey information from Australia to the UK. Seems as though their return will remain a mystery. I guess Australia did not turn out to be what they were looking for. They must have been somewhat successful whilst they were there in order to afford their return journey.
coopernicola

Postby sparrow » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:49 pm

"Australia did not turn out to be what they were looking for."

Not necessarily.Have you considered the possibility of a change of circumstances in the family at home in England, eg the death or imminent death of a parent?I'm pretty sure that is why my great grandmother's brother and his family returned home from Victoria to England in the 1870s, father dead, mother's health failing and sister (my great grandmother) keen to marry after a long engagement.
The unclaimed letter might just be a follow up plea from the relatives in England not realising that the family were already on their way home.
sparrow

Postby AnnieC70 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 pm

David Wing born 23 August 1822, Hull, Yorkshire and Clarissa Ann Smithson baptised 25 December 1824, Sculcoates, Yorkshire.

* Sep Q 1841 (possibly 5 August 1841) David & Clarissa married in St James, Sutton, Hull, Yorkshire.

* Sailed to Sydney, NSW, Australia on the “William Jardine”. She left London 10 August 1841, Gravesend 12 August and Plymouth 29 August. Clarissa was about 16/17 years old and David had just celebrated his 19th birthday before the ship left Plymouth.

* 23 December 1841, the ship arrived in Sydney. Within days of their arrival, David was employed by John Leathlean of Sydney, Carpenter, on a one year contract. Leathlean was also the licensee of the “Dunbarton Castle”.

* 15 October 1842, daughter Jane Elizabeth born in Sydney. Named after both grandmothers: Jane Wing and Elizabeth Smithson.

* 2 January 1843, David's older brother, William, married in Sydney.

* 15 May 1843 newspaper advertisement, "Government Gazette. Friday, May 12, 1843. Unclaimed Letters. The following is the List of Unclaimed Letters lying in the General Post Office, Sydney, for the month of April: ...David Wing, North Shore;..."

* 13 August 1843, baptism of Jane Elizabeth at St James, Sydney. David's occupation was Joiner and their abode was Pitt Street.

* 26 August 1843, nearly two years to the day after their departure from England, David and Clarissa (with infant Jane) commenced their return voyage on the ship “Dublin”. It arrived safely in London on 9 April 1844.
AnnieC70

Postby coopernicola » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Thank you for this. I will add it to my timeline for the couple.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby AnnieC70 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Hi Nicola, glad to be of assistance. Would you happen to have a photograph of David or Clarissa? It's something I've never been able to track down. Thanks, Annie
AnnieC70

Postby coopernicola » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:40 am

Sadly I've not found any images of them either, sorry.
coopernicola

Postby Christopher.Patrick.Green » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi,

My name is Christopher Green and David Wing was my 5th Great Grandfather, I just wanted to Thank You for the information that you have provided me, I am currently doing my Family Tree and the information that you have provided will help me with my research.

Thanks Again

Christopher Green
Christopher.Patrick.Green

Return to General research queries