Moderator Control Panel ]

Info ommitted from GRO supplied birth cert

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Info ommitted from GRO supplied birth cert

Postby aitch2o » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:57 am

I bought a birth certificate from GRO. It is that of my grandmother Lydia Amelia Forrest, born 12th May 1875 in Gibraltar where her father served with the Army.

It so happens that a second cousin sent me copies of loads of certificates including one for this same grandmother. There is a difference in that on that certificate they have put the full name and country of origin of my great grand mother and country of origin of my great grandfather.

I emailed GRO to ask why they had omitted some information only to get an email telling me that I should have brought this to their attention within a time span of 3 months.

Problem is that it was only by chance that I found out that info was omitted.

So how often do we all buy these certificates and not know stuff is omitted?
aitch2o

Re: Info ommitted from GRO supplied birth cert

Postby Guy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:59 am

aitch2o wrote:I bought a birth certificate from GRO. It is that of my grandmother Lydia Amelia Forrest, born 12th May 1875 in Gibraltar where her father served with the Army.

It so happens that a second cousin sent me copies of loads of certificates including one for this same grandmother. There is a difference in that on that certificate they have put the full name and country of origin of my great grand mother and country of origin of my great grandfather.

I emailed GRO to ask why they had omitted some information only to get an email telling me that I should have brought this to their attention within a time span of 3 months.

Problem is that it was only by chance that I found out that info was omitted.

So how often do we all buy these certificates and not know stuff is omitted?

The obvious question to ask is where did your cousin purchase the certificate she sent you from?

If it was from the GRO then they should have given you the full information.
If however it was from a local register the full information may not have been transcribed in the copy sent to the GRO.
In other words the GRO may have sent you all the information they had.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:19 am

Anyone know what the official format of a GRO certificate for overseas births actually is? Would it have included this extra information? I know that I always get a bit lost in the life cycle of these overseas certificates - because I've never had to remember it - but isn't it a bit like parish register marriages, in that one copy ends up at the GRO and another stays put until sent off to the archives (Kew in this case). In which case maybe only the Kew copy has this extra data? Just guessing - we need to know the origin of the other certificate to even start to answer.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby aitch2o » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:39 am

Thank you Guy you were spot on. The certificate my cousin got was from Gibraltar and she went there in 2004 and that might have been before there was much online. I got mine from GRO.

I do agree with you Adrian B38. When I buy a certificate I expect to get everything that there ever was in the first place no matter where or when.

I was married to a serviceman to know that military pen pushers like to think that they are allowed their own rules and regulations and will defy civilian rules wherever possible. So if GRO asked for all info; the military will have taken the attitude of "you have what you are given"

I think this is all worth remembering whenever we deal with military ancestors who hatch, match or dispatch whilst serving abroad.

Thanks again.
aitch2o

Postby peter kent » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:38 pm

Thank you Guy you were spot on

Not exactly. They are completely different situations. For a birth in England & Wales, GRO gets all its information from the local register office. GRO oversees the civil registration system throughout England & Wales.

In the case of an overseas military birth, GRO receives the data from military sources. There is no communication between the civil registration authorities in Gibraltar and the England & Wales GRO. They are totally independent of each other.
peter kent

Postby Sylcec » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:15 am

Just to add a further point of difference - not all military birth certificates provide the same information. There are 2 or 3 different sources particularly for older certificates - including Chaplains, Regimental sources. Anyone browsing the Regimental or Army indexes will occasionally find 2 different references for the same person. Purchasing both certificates using the different references will usually show subtle differences in information recorded, but with both being correct in their own way. (However, having checked the indexes, I recognise that this is NOT the case in aitch2o's query)
Sylcec

Postby aitch2o » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:57 pm

I have now heard from my cousin and she says that she got her copy from a genealogist who was doing research for her (she lives in the USA) about seven years ago. So as far as she knows it came from the GRO. She does mention that this genealogist went to Gibraltar to do more research for her so I wonder if he got it there. Puzzling
aitch2o

Postby peter kent » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:45 am

You said in your first message that you had a copy of the certificate. Doesn't the copy clarify matters?
peter kent

Postby aitch2o » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:48 pm

peter kent wrote:You said in your first message that you had a copy of the certificate. Doesn't the copy clarify matters?

I have had another look at the certificates. The one from my cousin was obtained from the City of Gibraltar in 1999.
There is also a death certificate for a child (would have been my grandmothers elder brother and he died of Teething (1) atrophy and (2) dentitus when he was only eleven months old) and this certificate was obtained in Gibraltar on 2004. Under the phrase

CERTIFICATE COPY OF AN ENTRY OF DEATH
it says

BIRTHS AND DEATH REGISTRATIONORDINANCE, CAP,13, FORM J (s.4),

which looks very military in its jargon but the certificate is issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths in GIBRALTAR.

I do wonder if originally the military had separate registration facilities which were handed over to the civilian authorities at a later date.
aitch2o

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 am

This may be useful for someone
On FamilySearch
Gibraltar
Civil registration, 1848-1990

Card index to births, including the more recent ones
Digitization of these seems to be complete
Here is the card for Lydia Amelia Forrest
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=440722

Gives date of birth, and parents full names, including mother's maiden name, and the volume and page numbers to find the register entry.

Registers of births for 1870-1910 have been digitized, but volumes 1-4 for the earlier period back to 1848 have not.
No registers of marriages are available online at the moment. They would seem to go back to 1862.
The registers of deaths, 1885-1956, are available

Here is the birth record for Lydia, with the info missing from the GRO version
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=440722

Remember that you will soon need to have a free FamilySearch account to view these images.
Ian
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries