Moderator Control Panel ]

Viewing Ancestry records

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Viewing Ancestry records

Postby meekhcs » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:06 pm

May I just ask is anyone having problems viewing records on Ancestry at the moment please?
Over the past week I have had intermittent problems when trying to view different records and I ended up with a blank white page.
Today whatever I try to look at whether a new or saved record I am having the same problem.
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how I can rectify it please?
I have reported the problem to Ancestry but suspect they will say it is mycomputer which is the usual answer.
I use windows 7 on my laptop and am using Firefox.

Many thanks Sally
meekhcs

Re: Viewing Ancestry records

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Sorry - I'm also Windows 7 and Firefox (version 42, to be precise) and I'm alright.

Is it only Ancestry that gives problems?

Have you installed any so-called helpful security routines that would need you to tell them that Ancestry is OK? (Using a couple of Firefox add-ons, I just tried temporarily blocking Flash but that doesn't seem to affect Ancestry now - i.e. everything runs OK even with Flash blocked. I also temporarily disabled Javascript using another add-on - that does affect things but I ended up with a black screen, rather than blank - and even that had an Ancestry copyright notice at the bottom. But these aren't the only way in which things could be blocked - they're just the most obvious.).

Sorry no more help than that ....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks Adrian, I haven't done anything that I know of, but then as I have admitted before I am a techy nerd!!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm having the same problem. I use either my phone or my budget tablet and never a pc. I just assumed it was incompatibility with mobile devices somehow! Glad it's not just me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby madducks » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:44 pm

I use a windows 10 laptop, a windows 7 netbook and an android smartphone with no problems....sorry
madducks

Postby philippereynolds » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I have been having problems whilst using an iPad. Saved probate records not showing the image. Also being unable to return to the tree from someone's profile but being able to load it from the tab at the top. So I don't think it's just you.
Philippe

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

Postby meekhcs » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 am

My initial problem seems to have resolved itself. However yesterday everytime I pressed the "continue searching" button an error notice came up so I had to resort to the "search records" button.

Ancestry has carried out routine maintenance recently and I have come to the conclusion that, depending on the settings on your own device, short periods of incompatibility occur, which, if you report them, usually right themselves.

I must add that I did a complete scan which removed a couple of cookie tracking problems so this may have helped.

Sally
meekhcs

Return to Technical help