Moderator Control Panel ]

Help identifying WWI medals

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help identifying WWI medals

Postby hassamal » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:11 pm

John Cartmer Ronson 02.JPG
John Cartmer Ronson Border Regiment
John Cartmer Ronson 02.JPG (135.06 KiB) Viewed 2358 times

I'd be grateful for help identifying the medals in this photograph of a collection awarded to John Cartmer Ronson (Border Regiment). I have neither the original medals nor the original photograph.

The three medals officially awarded are the 1914/15 Star (in the centre), the Victory Medal and the British Medal. He also had a silver war badge. But what are the other two medals?

He enlisted in July 1914 and, so far as I know, served only in France and Belgium.

Many thanks,

Andrew
hassamal

Re: Help identifying WWI medals

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Andrew. I think the bottom right is the Territorial Efficiency Medal and the bottom left could be the Defence Medal from WW2. This is only a possible for the WW2 as it is difficult to tell from the black and white photo. If it is though it may indicate he served in the home guard. The cap badge at the top is the King's Royal Rifle Corp.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby peter kent » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:10 am

Are you sure the cap badge isn't that of the Border Regiment?
peter kent

Postby Jethro Tull » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:39 pm

It could be but I thought The Border Regiment had a wreath around the edge. And also the K.R.R.C has a red cloth backing to it which this pic could depict. I may be wrong though. Always open to suggestions.

Jethro Tull

Postby peter kent » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:29 pm

I was looking at this image which looks very similar to the one in Andrew's photo...

peter kent

Postby Jethro Tull » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Deffo agree it is similar. I have a couple of different books for reference but found this pic online.

http://shop.rgjmuseum.co.uk/ekmps/shops ... badge-20-p[ekm]300x371[ekm].jpg

It is a tough call to make from the pic though.

Jethro Tull

Postby Sylcec » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:40 pm

It looks more like the KRRC to me - I can't identify any of the additional features shown on the Border Regiment badge. I was confused by whatever is behind the actual cross, but as Jethro says the KRRC has a red cloth backing, this would explain it.
Sylcec

Postby hassamal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses.

In terms of the cap badge, there's no problem with this. He served in the Border Regiment. I mentioned it in my original post, but ought to have made it clearer.

My query was about the other two badges. I''ve looked up images of the Territorial Efficiency Medal and that does seem to be the medal on the bottom right; the oval shape and medal ribbon are distinctive. The ribbon on the bottom left medal has the same pattern as that of the Defence Medal, and as the medal looks similar, I think that must also be correct. Ronson could well have served in the Home Guard.

I've updated John Ronson's profile on the IWM's LIves of the First World War site: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3815774

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew
hassamal

Return to Military help