Moderator Control Panel ]

Trying to trace Great grandfather

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Trying to trace Great grandfather

Postby Scarb60 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi,

New to the forum, as looking for some information or pointers in the right direction to try and trace my great grandfather from one postcard. I know it's a long shot but have to start somewhere.

All I know that he came from and lived in Brighton. His name was Arthur Scarborough or Northover. We think he may have been adopted by the Scarborough family.
The postcard is from the day he left to France on 3/1/1940.

We cannot identify anything from the uniform and wondered if anyone on the forum recognises anything?

Many thanks in advance.
Attachments
image.jpg
Arthur is back row 2nd from right
image.jpg (39.16 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Scarb60

Re: Trying to trace Great grandfather

Postby g w aldous » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 am

The only thing on this is the greatcoats some double some single breasted, I think the single is guards regts, but could be an earlier version.
g w aldous

Postby peter kent » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:17 am

Great grandfather in WW2? Good grief, my dad was in WW2. You're making me feel very old.

Down to brass tacks, I think you stand a better chance of answering the questions through conventional family history.

For example have you got his marriage certificate? What father's name is shown? When did he die? Have you got the death certificate?

Why do you think he may have been adopted? Have you searched the adoption register index?
peter kent

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:51 am

g w aldous wrote:... the greatcoats some double some single breasted ...

The story I had from my late father (who was in the Home Guard) was that double-breasted costs were normally issued only to officers. They couldn't provide 6-foot tall Dad with an ordinary single-breasted greatcoat, so he got the double-breasted version. Then one dark (and stormy?) night, he walked onto the AA gun emplacement and got saluted by the Regulars. When they found out he was a very young, very junior (and reluctant) lance-corporal, they got somewhat annoyed and told him to "Change that ***** greatcoat". (I don't think he ever did, though!)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help