Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 Register

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

1939 Register

Postby philippereynolds » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:59 pm

I have just received an email announcing the 1939 Register will be available on findmypast on the 2 Nov, which is great news. What shocked me as I scrolled through and read all the information was the price. £6.99 per household record and £24.99 for a 5 record bundle. Now I appreciate these things cost money to transcribe and digitise but I don't understand why it isn't being treated like a census? When the 1911 census was released there was no extra charge it was include in the membership fee. How is this any different?

There is also the added element that findmypast are the only subscription site with the information thus creating a monopoly. People want have any choice but to pay these extortionate prices.

I think I'll go without thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

Re: 1939 Register

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:26 pm

So far as I remember, no it wasn't released as part of the FMP site - it had its own site, which was the only copy of the data for X months. http://www.1911census.org.uk/1911access.htm confirms that "Initially, transcriptions and schedules could only be viewed using "PayAsYouGo" credits."

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone?

Where it seems shocking is that the link suggests that a schedule to the 1911 would cost 45p to 60p. And this is 10 times that. :x

Having seen the price, confirms me in my view that I've never understood the fuss over the 1939 Register. I don't really want to know where 2nd cousins to my Grandparents were - and certainly not at that price.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby philmex1 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:59 pm

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED!! Took an annual subscription out earlier this month excited at the prospect of taking my family research further with the 1939 register. Thanks a lot, Findmypast, you are making genealogy elitist. A lot of people will not be able to afford this fantastic new resource!!!!

Rang them up to complain - lass on helpline says 'sorry you're disappointed about this' and that's all they can do! 'Disappointed' is the wrong adjective - 'livid' more like!!! Subscribers need to be shouting about this overpricing on every forum they can find. It's not exciting to be told how much more you have to pay for accessing your own family's history. Maybe I should be charging Findmypast for using my family's data for profit!!!!!
philmex1

Postby Guy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:51 pm

I am very surprised that people are moaning about the cost of the 1939 National Registration from Findmypast.

Have they forgotten that the NHS were charging £49 for the same information?

If you want the same information in Scotland the National Records of Scotland will charge £15 for a search for a single person (not a household) and keep £5 if they cannot find what you are looking for.

When faced with those charges Findmypast’s charges are very cheap.

Family history has never been cheaper than it is today and companies like Findmypast lead the way in reducing costs for genealogists.

When I started researching the researcher had to visit the archive or record office (possible hundreds of miles from where one lived) at a time that was suitable to the archive.
One then had to send time trawling manually through handwritten records to find the relevant record, and then manually copy what was needed.
The thought of being able to download a copy for a tiny proportion of the average weekly wage would have been thought of as a miracle in those days.

How times change.

Cheers
Guy

PS has anyone thought about how many millions of pounds FMP must have paid out scanning and transcribing these records not to mention the licence fee they will be paying for the privilege of hosting them.
Put it this way it would have bankrupted many smaller companies.
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

1939 Register

Postby philippereynolds » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Why didn't the company use volunteers to keep the cost down? Just like they do with all the other records that they very proudly boast about adding to the site on a weekly basis.

People feel betrayed because the company have gone about this in quite an underhanded way. Lots of pomp and ceremony's for months on end, no mention of price and then BLAM give us your retirement fund. A bit of transparency and warning and there wouldn't have been the outcry.

In the long run I think findmypast my regret their approach, as I believe it will cost them.

philippereynolds

Postby Guy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:55 pm

philippereynolds wrote:I have just received an email announcing the 1939 Register will be available on findmypast on the 2 Nov, which is great news. What shocked me as I scrolled through and read all the information was the price. £6.99 per household record and £24.99 for a 5 record bundle. Now I appreciate these things cost money to transcribe and digitise but I don't understand why it isn't being treated like a census? When the 1911 census was released there was no extra charge it was include in the membership fee. How is this any different?

There is also the added element that findmypast are the only subscription site with the information thus creating a monopoly. People want have any choice but to pay these extortionate prices.

I think I'll go without thanks!

You must have a short memory when the 1911 census was released it was released on a seperate website (1911census.co.uk) at the following cost
10 credits per transcript and 30 credits for each original household page.
Visitors to the website can buy 60 credits for £6.95.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby philippereynolds » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:38 pm

I didn't pay extra to view the 1911 census, as my ancestry subs covered it.
I get the feeling you have a vested interest in all this, Guy. I've just been on the findmypast Facebook page and it seems you are copying and pasting replies between boards. The admin over there even thanks you for your help in getting the project off the ground. Can I sense a certain level of bias?

philippereynolds

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:51 pm

philippereynolds wrote:Why didn't the company use volunteers to keep the cost down? ...

So far as I know, volunteers have never operated cameras, nor wrote the software that's necessary to redact those people probably still alive. Indexing is comparatively simple work, especially when the LDS have already filmed the stuff.

philippereynolds wrote: ... People feel betrayed because the company have gone about this in quite an underhanded way. Lots of pomp and ceremony's for months on end, no mention of price ...

I dislike the pricing structure intensely, but I can't agree there's been anything underhand. At no point have FMP indicated anything about pricing structure. Unfortunately, people ran away with the idea that because FMP were doing it, then it would be on the FMP site and it would be included in the base subscription. I even pointed out that there was no pricing guarantee on one of the mailing lists, only to be be told, "Don't worry, it'll be on FMP, there's already a tab for it." Err. Yes...

If the pricings bear comparison with the original release of the 1911 census (and I seriously can't think it was anywhere close to £7 a schedule), then FMP should have compared prices and justified them. As usual, their communication strategy has failed dismally to justify their commercial strategy.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Guy wrote:... Have they forgotten that the NHS were charging £49 for the same information?

If you want the same information in Scotland the National Records of Scotland will charge £15 for a search for a single person (not a household) and keep £5 if they cannot find what you are looking for.

Certainly the FMP charge is cheaper than what's gone before, but that, to some extent, misses the point. For many of us, the 1939 Register will be interesting when we see it but it's totally marginal - I know where my grandparents were in 1939. I might not know which street Dad's Uncle Albert lived in but is that really that interesting?

For me, the 1939 Register was always just a marginal gain - I could justify it if it was marginal pricing. But it's not, so I think FMP will find only a very few people buying at this price, those who really need to know about grandparents, etc., and have no other means to access the data. This is definitely a Rolls-Royce approach to offering and pricing, where most of us are only in the market for Aldi (mixing my metaphorical markets). I think it's a poor commercial decision. But we'll see - if the site crashes under demand, then we'll all be wrong.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:08 pm

philippereynolds wrote:I didn't pay extra to view the 1911 census, as my ancestry subs covered it.

Then you're not comparing like with like. We were talking about the initial release of the 1911, when Brightsolid (i.e. FMP's parent) had exclusive rights and specific costing. If you wait long enough, then I'm sure Ancestry will get the 1939 under its current subs.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Genealogy chat