Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 Register

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: 1939 Register

Postby madducks » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:56 pm

What info will register give you before you commit to getting that record...presumably it will mention those in the house.
madducks

Postby callbrian » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi
Paul and Sally, did you go to the 1939 register info page and tick the box to be kept informed?
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby meekhcs » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:02 am

Yes I did, Sally
meekhcs

Postby paulr1949 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:46 am

And I thought I had done so too :-/

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:47 pm

The information supplied was, so far as I remember, minimal - pictures of people scanning stuff that could have been anything. No sample images to show us what we might be getting. I still have no idea how the forms will show the subsequent married names because there didn't seem to be enough room on the original household schedule to record the identity card numbers never mind the later married names. Maybe the answer is that we won't see those? In which case what will we see?

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:23 pm

By not seeing "those", I meant not seeing the householders' schedules. Instead we might be seeing an enumerator's copy if there is such a thing.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:43 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:By not seeing "those", I meant not seeing the householders' schedules. Instead we might be seeing an enumerator's copy if there is such a thing.

Sent from my GT-I8190N

Have you seen
https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/how-to-se ... 17472.html

Also if you signed up to be informed about the 1939 national Register you may have got an email in the last couple of days giving your voucher code which contains this image

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:48 pm

I'd certainly seen the blog (which finally detailed the inputs) and the image in the mail. So far as I can see in that small image, that looks like what I'd call an enumerator's book, rather than the householder's schedule. However, not wishing to be flippant about this - that's an image, there's no guarantee that is what we'll see. On reflection, though, the phrase "see who lived in the surrounding houses in 1939" from the mail does suggest that what we'll see is indeed the enumerator's books, rather than the householders' schedules. But then the phrase "View the original register document" doesn't make sense, because that image is not the original, the householder's schedule is the original. :?

Squinting at that image, it may be that one of the schoolgirl (Elsie Williams?) has had her surname struck through and annotated - maybe that's how the later married names are recorded? Difficult to tell with a sample of one... I wonder where the dates of death were recorded? - nothing in the "What information is listed in the 1939 Register?" FAQ on FMP indicates we will see date of death but clearly that's been digitised somewhere to drive the redaction process.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:24 pm

Vision of Britain
History of the Census
National Registration, 1939

"As the original schedules were reserved for the use of local food authorities as a basis for the preparation of ration books and to constitute the local Food Registers, enumerators were instructed to make transcripts of the schedules before parting with them. Special Transcript Books had been prepared and issued for this purpose and after completion, were checked by local registration officers before being sent to the central offices."

Hansard,
1 November 1939
W S Morrison (Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster) - in answer to a question -
"Instructions were given to local food offices that the particulars in the ration books should be filled in as soon as possible after the National Registration schedules became available so that if rationing became necessary the scheme could be put into operation with the minimum delay."

What did they subsequently do with all the schedules?
I'm wondering now if we will see the originals as filled in by the householder (which is what I was expecting!)
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:56 pm

ianbee wrote:.... What did they subsequently do with all the schedules?
I'm wondering now if we will see the originals as filled in by the householder (which is what I was expecting!)

Taking that link to the FMP Blog that Guy pointed out above, the preview of the transcript shows a TNA Reference of RG101. If you go to Discovery, the description for RG refers to
"National Registration, RG 28 and RG 101"

RG28 is basically the admin details. RG101 is described as: "This series comprises digitally scanned versions of the enumerator's transcript books for the national registration of the civilian population that took place on the evening of 29 September 1939. ... PLEASE NOTE: The records are in the process of being digitised in association with our partner Findmypast. " (My italics, their capitals).

So it sounds like we won't see the householders' stuff, only the enumerators'. And the text you found, Ian, indicates that the original householders' stuff went off elsewhere and this suggests to me that it would never have been preserved.

And if TNA are getting only enumerators' books, then surely the size of this job is comparable to the 1901 census rather than 1911 - population growth aside? In which case - why is it so complicated and big? Are we missing something, like the information about deaths used to drive the redaction process?

(Anyone splashing the cash tomorrow is welcome to report back - I think I personally am only interested in one household - I need this guy's birth-date to find his birth certificate and so to solve a mystery, but as his name is Taylor, I might end up with several wrong households. Next time at Kew, I think...)
Adrian
AdrianB38

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat