Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 Register

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: 1939 Register

Postby callbrian » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi
I can see all points of view in the previous posts.
I am disappointed, as I have been in contact with FMP regarding the 1939 register, asking when it was to be released, at no time was any extra cost mentioned.
My problem with buying credits, if you enter incorrect info, they soon disappear, without any reward. I lost count of the money I wasted, when I only had credits, checking non members of my family with similar detail. It is less of a concern when it is part of your subscription.
I think this may run for sometime.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Guy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:55 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi
I can see all points of view in the previous posts.
I am disappointed, as I have been in contact with FMP regarding the 1939 register, asking when it was to be released, at no time was any extra cost mentioned.
My problem with buying credits, if you enter incorrect info, they soon disappear, without any reward. I lost count of the money I wasted, when I only had credits, checking non members of my family with similar detail. It is less of a concern when it is part of your subscription.
I think this may run for sometime.
Brian

Unfortunately people do not read the terms and conditions.

It is there in black and white for all to see

“Changes to the website or records: We reserve the right to make changes to the website, including the records and services we offer, without notice; however, we would not be in business very long if we suddenly took things away that you've paid for without offering you a decent replacement. If you're a subscriber, you'll be glad to know that you will generally get a lot of new records added to your subscription at no extra cost during the period of your subscription. Sometimes, if we launch a major new collection, we might make a separate charge for it, but this is rare. We may also change prices, make special offers to groups or individuals, or change the number of credits charged to view a record from time to time.”

Note my accentuation.
Yes it would have been nice if they had mentioned this in correspondence but perhaps the person concerned did not have the authority to do so.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:47 am

My belief is that all FMP employees were told not to discuss costs even when it was explicitly raised. I don't blame the employees for that. But it does mean that FMP decided explicitly that their communication strategy for this aspect was not to communicate. That is absurd. No company should surprise its customers in a bad way.

I was always told as a manager that if an employee was surprised by a bad review, then I was at fault for not warning them beforehand so that we could do something about it. Same principle here. Someone should have warned the customers beforehand so it wasn't a surprise.

People don't read the small print - if a communications team don't understand that, then they should not be in their jobs.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:06 am

AdrianB38 wrote:
People don't read the small print - if a communications team don't understand that, then they should not be in their jobs.

Sent from my GT-I8190N

If it was members of the general public I might agree but genealogists are supposed to be researchers people who a driven to find those elusive details and ferret out the truth.
Or is that all out of date now, are present day researchers so inept that they can only find what is dumped on their laps.

It does not really comes as a surprise to me after all we have proof of poor standards with all the inaccurate trees there are floating about the internet, but people must accept that they must shoulder part of the blame for not checking what they are signing up for.
They are quick to point out "small print" on their receipts but slow to accept that "small print" in the terms warned them that this might happen on occasions.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby grandpadragon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm disapointed, as we suspected those still living wont appear, so I wont get to appear in print, no brief moment of fame! I think I might change my user name to "Redacted by FMP" :mrgreen:
Emlyn
grandpadragon

Postby Guy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 am

grandpadragon wrote:I'm disapointed, as we suspected those still living wont appear, so I wont get to appear in print, no brief moment of fame! I think I might change my user name to "Redacted by FMP" :mrgreen:
Emlyn

No as with anything covered by the Data Protection Act 1998 you can apply for your own information and Findmypast will comply.
They have already stated that they will release such information to the individuals concerned.

Cheers
Guy
Guy

Postby madducks » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:04 am

Does anyone know exactly what sort of info it will show. Also most of my relatives on it will be dead now...do I need to prove it or will they know...for example my grandfather died in 1951.
madducks

Postby paulr1949 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:25 am

I am obviously not a valued subscriber as I have not received an email.

I agree with all that has been said about the lack of transparency and actual information on charges - I thought that it would be included in my subscription (renewed at the beginning of this month). Yes FMP have the right to charge - look at Scotland,s people - another monopoly - but this is too expensive. For the small amount of research I want to do I would prefer to spend a day at TNA- luckily I can get there in under an hour and free.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby ianbee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:41 am

madducks wrote:Does anyone know exactly what sort of info it will show. Also most of my relatives on it will be dead now...do I need to prove it or will they know...for example my grandfather died in 1951.

Address
Surname and other names
Sex
Birthday (day and month)
Year of birth
Condition as to marriage
Personal Occupation
Membership of Naval, Military or Air Force Reserves or Auxiliary Forces or of Civil Defence Services or Reserves

You will be able to see the record of anyone born more than 100 years ago
and (we have just been told this) should be able to see the record of anyone born after 1915 and who died before 1991
ianbee

Postby meekhcs » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Paulr1949 wrote

I am obviously not a valued subscriber as I have not received an email.

Snap, neither did I.

As I have mentioned on another post I can understand the need for a charge, it's just the way FMP have gone about it!

Sally
meekhcs

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat