Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 Register

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: 1939 Register

Postby junkers » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:53 pm

The National Archives (TNA) only holds the Home Guard records for Durham and they can be accessed if they are open, but a number are not and you will need to supply a death certificate. Be careful as there some individuals who have more than one record, depending on which Battalion they were in.

It is the first time that I have head that BMD records were set up to record pedigrees (which I am sure is not correct) and the Census was originally a medical dataset of records. If you go to TNA you will find that a number of applications to search the Censuses were refused except in exceptional cases (see the RG series).
junkers

Postby madducks » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:25 pm

My great grandfather was in home guard at Hilton, Derbyshire so thinking won't find any records for him.
madducks

Postby Guy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:10 pm

junkers wrote:
It is the first time that I have head that BMD records were set up to record pedigrees (which I am sure is not correct) and the Census was originally a medical dataset of records. If you go to TNA you will find that a number of applications to search the Censuses were refused except in exceptional cases (see the RG series).

The Civil Registers came about as it was felt that the Parish Registers were not being kept properly.
As result the Bishop's Registrar had been deprived of the means to ascertain whether the Wills of people dying had been proved or administered and that the registers in the provincial registries had not afforded that facility in the tracing of pedigrees as contemplated by the provisions of the 1812 Act (52 Geo. III).

Never let anyone tell you that the civil registers were not devised to allow the tracing of pedigrees that was one of the primary functions of the civil registration system as proposed in the 1824 Bill.

That Bill failed after its first reading but was followed by an undertaking by Lord Abinger (Attorney General) in 1830 which resulted in the 1836 Act.

The details are in Hansard for all to see.

There is a difference between being allowed to search the census and having deatils from the census suppiled to you.
What happened was you would apply to the GRO for details of a household pay your £10 and in a couple of weeks they would send you a transcript of the entry.
In the same way as the NHSIC would send details from the 1939 National Registration until recently.
That is not the same as searching the census oneself.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby madducks » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Not only can I not find William or Edith Cheadle in Oulton, Stone...but their road does not even seem to exist Kibblestone Road (named after Kibblestone Hall) ...Any ideas
madducks

Postby janiej » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:10 pm

by madducks » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Not only can I not find William or Edith Cheadle in Oulton, Stone...but their road does not even seem to exist Kibblestone Road (named after Kibblestone Hall) ...Any ideas

There is a William Cleadle - with some other people in the household, in Stone R.D. but if not the person you want, it may be worth contacting FMP - I have lost half a town, with none of the streets transcribed and am waiting for them to look into it, along with lots of misspelt villages and streets in my local area. They must have a huge back log of enquiries - it took them the full ten working days to release my mother's details.
janiej

Postby madducks » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi that wasn't my William but thanks for finding it. How would I get in touch with FMP regarding a specific enquiry like this. The whole road doesnt exist. Have been waiting 12 days so far for my grandfather to be added.
madducks

Postby janiej » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:03 am

I emailed them through their Customer Support - they replied that day and said they were looking into it, but we are talking about half a town, so I think it might be a while before it gets updated. And, that's just my town - I am sure I am not alone
janiej

Postby ksouthall » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:50 pm

I just found my great-aunt and her family on the 1939 Register. I also found another more distant relative and his married daughter and discovered her maiden name which was a bonus.

Also on the same page was Geoffrey Raoul de Havilland, a test pilot, born on 18th February 1910. He was one of the sons of Sir Geoffrey de Havilland, British aviation pioneer.

Geoffrey junior was killed in 1946 whilst carrying out high speed tests in the de Havilland DH.108 TG306 which broke up over the Thames estuary.

It's interesting finding out who my family's neighbours were.
ksouthall

Postby junkers » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Today's User Forum at The National Archives was interesting (it will be published in a month or so), if somewhat annoying on the issue of FMP being given access to closed records. The information being released is only the left-hand side of the records and that of medical treatment on the right-hand side are deemed 'not to be public records' and will not be released.
junkers

Postby madducks » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Junkers I think that's really annoying as I mentioned in another post my grandfather wasn't called up because of some major medical condition that we will now never know.
madducks

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat