Moderator Control Panel ]

Which Regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Which Regiment

Postby clare2611 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:30 am

With help from people on this forum which have concluded that my Father In Law has a Royal Artillery badge on his uniform. However we still have no idea of regiment.

Charles Henry Lawrence. Born 1921. Denaby Doncaster and would have resided here when enlisting.

Maybe KOYLI. Read about 171 Bttety but not sure?

Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
clare2611

Re: Which Regiment

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Right - I'm out of my depth here so I'm just Googling.

I found this text on ww2talk.com :

"57th (King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry) Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.A. (T.A.)
HQ, 169th-171st Btys: Doncaster

"The regiment was retitled 57th Light AA Regiment, R.A. (King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry) T.A. on 17 February 1942. It was ready for active service by 10 June 1940. "

Now a couple of things should be mentioned. Firstly if conscription in WW2 was anything like that in WW1, then the unit that someone went into would almost certainly have zero relationship with their home area. Secondly this 171 Battery seems to have been a pre-war Territorial unit manned by volunteers who clearly did have a choice which unit they went into.

Here's the bit I don't understand - why is a unit of the Royal Artillery TA associated with the KOYLI, which is an infantry regiment? Is it possible that the KOYLI connection is not so much with the regiment of regulars but with the Yorkshire County Association who looked after Territorial recruitment not just to units of the KOYLI infantry but also to units of artillery? And this convoluted name expressed that?

Ordinarily I'd suggest that the idea of 171 battery was possible but had nothing else to commend it. But those photos I saw of people wearing the RA grenade on their breast were members of Anti Aircraft batteries just like 171. Could it be that this is what a Territorial's badges would look like if associated with a TA battery of the RA?

Anyone out there who can stop my wild speculation?

There is absolutely no proof but, if nothing else comes up, it would be worth trying to see if any of the local museums have any lists of Territorials in 171 and similar units.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:25 pm

Incidentally my reference to the previous photos only makes sense if the badge is on his left breast. If the badge is indeed on a cap under the shoulder strap, then all we can say is that he's in the Royal Artillery (which is a sort of regiment in its own right) and he could be in absolutely any battery within the RA. I don't know if the regiments within the RA show any difference in uniform etc.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 pm

I do not know where you are so this may not be worth much. The KOYLI's regimental museum is in Doncaster. I visited it last year as my grandfather was in the KOYLIs in the IWW. It is very interesting so could be of help. The website was helpful the last time I looked.
brunes08

Return to Military help